Thirty-Nine

MONTHS LATER

"Are you sure I can invite Ethan?" I asked Devi over call.

"Positive."

It was the day before I left for Princeton. Devi had just told our friend group that her Pati was having a traditional wedding, and she was aloud to invite some friends.

Of course, she had invited Fab, Eleanor, and I. But she had also invited Paxton and his new girlfriend, Aneesa, and she had encouraged me to invite Ethan.

So I did.

I got dressed up and made my way to Devi's. The whole place was beautiful. Especially the actual ceremony. I knew Pati well, since Devi and I were always at each other's houses. It was wonderful to see her that happy.

When Ethan arrived, I felt both excited and sad at the same time. He was here, and he looked handsome as ever. He was here to spend time with me. But this would be my last time seeing him before college.

Of course, we made sure to spend lots of time together as soon as we got back together. That's what most of my summer was filled with, and I wasn't complaining. Once you got to know him, Ethan had so much depth. He was more than just a troublemaking hot guy, he was sweet, and he would do absolutely anything for you.

After Pati and Len were officially married, it was just our friend group sitting at a table together. Devi got up to do a traditonal Indian dance with Kamala, and the applause was loud. I loved seeing everyone finally happy.

"Thanks for coming," I said to Ethan.

Our chairs were next to each other, and his arm was draped over my shoulder. Ethan looked at me with a smile. "I wouldn't miss seeing you before college."

I smiled. I looked over at Paxton who was sitting with his new girlfriend, Lindsay Thompson. She was another teacher at Sherman Oaks that he had apparently gotten closer with after giving up on me. It was a little odd to see Paxton (who I still didn't view as my teacher) dating another teacher from our school. It just felt wrong after being in classes with him for so long.

She seemed nice. And he seemed happy.

Devi's face suddenly lit up, letting all of us know that she had an idea. "How about we play Never Have I Ever?"

It sounded fun and harmless. Everyone collectively agreed and nodded their heads.

"Never have I ever been in love with y/n," Fab said with a smirk.

I wanted to sink away. Instead, I just laughed.

Paxton looked at Lindsay awkwardly. "Well, there was a point where I LIKED her. Not love. And it's not now!" Paxton said in defense.

Devi laughed. "Sure, Paxton."

Ethan looked over at me with a big smile. "I have. I am right now."

Everything stopped. I had told him I loved him the day we broke up, and he was surprised. That was me now. I knew he liked me, really liked me even. But this confirmed that he loved me.

"I love you, y/n," Ethan whispered.

"I love you too, Ethan."

A few "aws" were heard but suddenly Fab dismissed them. "So cute! But let's continue the game! It's your turn, Devi."

Devi nodded with a laugh. "Never have I ever hooked up with..."

"Ben?" She said quietly, her head suddenly turning and her attention shying away from the group.

Aneesa shrugged. "Been there."

Everyone laughed, but Devi didn't seem to be paying attention. She got up from the table, leaving everyone else, who was at first still bothered by their own conversations to notice her exit.

But I suddenly noticed something amazing. Ben was standing at the entrance of the wedding, wearing a sweatshirt and jeans. He was very casual compared to Devi. He was supposed to be in New York, but here he was in Sherman Oaks talking to and embracing Devi.

I smiled. I always knew she would end up with him. With a quick word to Kamala, Devi and Ben ran out of the wedding. I didn't bring it to any of the other's attention, because I wanted Devi to have her moment just like how I had mine with Ethan.

I would see her bright and early tomorrow on our way to Princeton.

By the time the wedding came to an end, I was standing just outside of Devi's house with Ethan. I had given the rest of my friends a meaningful and hug-filled goodbye. Now it was time to say goodbye to the person who mattered the most. Ethan.

We planned to call each other and make visits, but it would never be the same as it was. Majority of the time, we would be on the other side of the country. Not even in walking distance of each other like we normally would be.

"We'll make this work," I whispered.

"Of course we will. I knew you'd get into Princeton, you're so smart. You're going to do great there," Ethan complimented.

"It won't be the same without you."

"I did convince the Princeton lady to choose you," he said with a smirk, giving himself lots of credit.

I smiled, laughing at his confidence. "And then you stole her wallet."

"That was a mistake! What, do you still hate me for it?" he teased.

"Of course not. Just kiss me, Ethan."

We kissed, and then we embraced tigher than ever. We embraced seeing each other in person more than we ever had before.

"I really mean what I said. I love you."

"I love you more."

one more chapter after this and then it's the end! :(