Twenty-Seven

Ethan and I had just finished a dancing session. I wanted to go to the bathroom to touch up and also possibly meet up with my friends and talk about how our prom "dates" were going.

I was interested to see if Devi ended up with Ben, and if Eleanor was with Trent again.

I turned the corner, spotting the bathrooms. But outside of them stood someone. There was a fold up chair that had alcohol piled underneath it. They must be watching for people trying to take shots in the bathroom.

But as I neared closer, I recognized the figure. It was Paxton. How was he aloud to volunteer at the senior prom if he was fired as a teacher? There was something weird about that.

I tried to make my escape, but his eyes met mine as I was shuffling away. "y/n!"

I stopped in my tracks, trying to hide my annoyance.

"Hey, Paxton." I paused, staring at him in his suit. "I thought you got fired."

It was kind of a low blow to say that, but it was true. And it was my boyfriend that got him fired in the first place. Well, technically it was also me...

I was the student he was caught making out with. I was still very thankful to Ethan for not telling them it was me.

"Yeah... I can only assume that was Ethan."

I didn't answer, but he still advanced closer.

"How'd you get to volunteer if you were fired?"

"Didn't you hear? They found I was innocent, so I was hired again."

Oh no. How had they proven him "innocent" that quick? Because he wasn't at all. Okay, maybe I gave him consent. But I didn't want him to come back and work at Sherman Oaks, or else Ethan and I's relationship would go to chaos again.

"But you weren't really," I said with a nervous laugh.

"Hey, you enjoyed it. That's all that mattered. Now, where did we leave off?"

Paxton got closer, and looked like he was about to kiss me. But I wouldn't let it happen this time. I was with Ethan, and the decision was final.

"Paxton, no," I snapped.

Paxton looked at me, surprised. His face scrunched up a little bit as he ran a hand through his dark hair. He seemed as if he didn't expect that reaction from me at all.

He even took a step back, and looked me up and down. I sighed, looking into his hurt eyes. I should've known he wouldn't take this lightly.

"Why?" Paxton said softly.

"I'm with Ethan."

"Like officially?"

I nodded, and his face dropped all in one motion.

"He's going to break your heart, you know?"

I wasn't really sure what Paxton meant by that. Yes, Ethan came off as harsh and intimidating when you first saw him, but he really was a sweetheart when you got close to him.

"Paxton, trust me. He's not as bad as you think he is."

Well, Ethan did make some questionable decisions especially when it comes to the law... But he knows when to stop, and he knows what his place is.

"Yeah, sure."

Paxton walked away in a huff. I felt the slightest bit bad, but not enough to go after him. I entered the dance floor area once again, not wanting to have to walk past him to the bathroom.

I would see my friends out on the dance floor again anyways.

Well, that was until I heard the sound of familiar crying coming from the girl's bathroom. Was that Devi?

I completely ignored Paxton, running into the bathroom. Devi was standing in front of the mirror, wiping tears from her eyes.

Devi usually didn't let her feelings out like this. And why was she crying on her big prom night? Maybe things didn't go well with Ben...

"Devi?"

Devi's head lifted up, looking at me. "y/n..."

"Devi, what's wrong?" I said, hugging her quickly. I was concerned for my best friend.

"I didn't get into Princeton. I didn't into any school!"

I let out an audible gasp, realizing that Devi's future was going the total opposite way of what she told us.