Twenty-Four

Fabiola told Devi everything, and they ended up making up. I was so glad that our friend group was finally at peace again.

But speaking of Princeton, Devi would find out this morning if she had another chance of getting into Princeton. She would find out if her dream school, or any other schools, accepted her.

I was happy that I was already settled in with my college acceptance, because dealing with opening my laptop and searching for college responses would be the death of me again.

I anticipated a text from Devi, or a scream from her when I saw her in the halls of Sherman Oaks High.

There wasn't any text yet. But my mom was already calling me downstairs telling me news that Devi's mom had passed on to her.

"Devi got accepted into all of the Ivy League schools!"

I celebrated for her, jumping up and down and squealing. I was sure hoping Devi would get into Princeton, let alone all of the Ivy League schools.

This was extraordinary. I couldn't wait to see Devi and tell her how proud I was. Now all of us could be happy with our college acceptances. I assumed Devi would choose Princeton over all the other colleges. And maybe we could room together.

I left my house, and when I entered the school, I immediately searched for Devi. But instead I caught the eye of Ben, who was wearing his University of Columbia hoodie as usual.

"What are you all so excited about?" Ben asked in his know-it-all tone.

"Devi got accepted into every Ivy League school, Ben!" I answered.

Ben looked shocked himself. He jumped back a little bit and his mouth opened wide, nothing coming out at first.

"Did she really? No way!"

"Yep."

"That's... that's awesome!"

I gave him a playful punch to the arm. "Go find your girlfriend with me."

I started walking, him now following behind me. "She's not my girlfriend. You know that, y/n!"

"Yeah, yeah."

Ben and I were side by side when I locked eyes with Devi. I left him, running over to Devi and tightly embracing her.

"I can't believe you got in!"

She looked confused. "Into what?"

"All of the Ivy League schools. Especially Princeton!"

Her face was a pool of realization. I found it odd that she didn't look excited herself or seen to know what I was talking about.

"Oh yeah! Thanks..."

Ben made his way over. "Congrats, David."

"Thanks, Ben..."

Something was off about Devi, but I wasn't sure what it was. I guessed she would be more excited about something like this.

After even more shouting of celebration, I was separated from Devi. I was sitting with Ethan at a table, as we both ate our lunch.

"How did Devi get into so many Ivy Leagues?" Ethan questioned.

"I don't know, but I'm so proud of her."

"It seems weird to me. You didn't even get accepted into that much."

"She's honestly smarter than me," I shrugged.

"No she's not." Ethan held eye contact with me. "You're my smart girl."

I smiled as Ethan got out of his chair. "I wish I could say the same about you."

Ethan looked offended at my joke, which I made clear wasn't serious. He knew he wasn't the best at school though. But that wasn't because he was dumb; it was because he didn't feel like trying.

"Say it again," he said threateningly.

"Or whattt?"

He just smirked.

I laughed back at him.

Prom was tomorrow, and he still hadn't asked me. Yet, I didn't blame him with all of the confusing parts of our relationship lately. Everything was smooth now though, so it could happen any minute.

The bell rang, letting us now that we had to go to class.

"I'll see you later?" I asked him.

"Of course baby."

He gave me a small wink before we went to our separate classes.