Fourteen

After lunch, I was walking through the hallways alone when a familiar figure walked past me and looked back with a wave. "Hey, y/n."

I saw Paxton. "Hey Paxton. Wait... Paxton?"

Paxton was a grade above us, and had left for college some time ago. But here he was in the school, seeming to be wearing a uniform.

"I thought you were in college?"

"It's a long story. But now I've got a job here."

I walked over to him, a big smile on my face. I had to admit that he still looked just as good as he did before. Paxton had always been that guy that I found so attractive, but never was really romantically engaged with.

"Has Devi seen you yet? You two had a lot of... chemistry," I blurted.

"Yeah, haven't yet. But I'm kind of past her I think."

I was surprised to hear that. Anyone could tell that Devi and Paxton's past relationships weren't one-sided. Even though Paxton was the popular and cool guy, he was still very much in love with Devi.

"Hah, thats surprising."

"Do you want to maybe catch up? Like at one of the chairs and tables maybe?"

"Sure, why not?"

I followed Paxton. It was strange but cool to talk to him as teacher, not as a student. But it was nice to see his face again.

The two of us talked for some time, before Ethan was brought up. "So, are you with anyone right now?" Paxton questioned.

I blushed thinking of Ethan. I wasn't sure if we were officially in a relationship yet, but we were definitely something.

"Sort of."

"How are you sort of in a relationship?" Paxton laughed.

"Well, we never became official. But there's sort of this unspoken thing between us, and I guess we kind of act like a couple," I explained.

I thought back to the wallet innocent, knowing that it affected us big time. Paxton took a sip of his drink and stared at me in interest and with a charming smile.

"Interesting. I'll have to meet this 'Ethan guy'. Is he nice?"

"He can be." That was the only appropriate answer, since he wasn't the kindest person out there. But he did do very sweet things for me. So in a way, he was both.

"What happened with college?" I asked.

"It just really sucks. The people I room with and have classes with weren't the nicest. It was a slap in the face to go from the king of school to the loser."

I couldn't imagine Paxton being the weird one in the crowd. People at Sherman Oaks practically worshipped him, and many still do. He was known by everybody.

"Paxton Hall-Yoshida not being popular? No way."

Paxton laughed, his face red of embarrassment. "It's hard to believe, I know."

"Especially since you're so handsome."

Paxton paused, swallowing quickly. "You think I'm handsome?"

"Who doesn't?"

We talked even more, until I realized it was time for me to go home. Our last period was free for me, and Paxton scolded himself for abandoning his duties as a teacher to talk to me.

I froze in realization when I got out to my car. My tire was flat, and I didn't have any extras. Paxton was immediately to my rescue, his own keys dangling in his hand.

"Want a ride?"