Chapter 11: Him, Part 4

E...

Elias?

He had the gold medal strapped around his neck.

... So tightly.

Yet...

Winners wore gold medals, right?

Sin...

But he was a sinner...

He...

No... no...

His legs dangled in front of me. The rope and the thin strap of the medal wrapped around his neck so tightly, and completely made his face doll-like. His eyes were closed shut and his mouth was slightly dry. His arms were straight down, his hands slightly curved. In front of me, he...

He hung himself.

He... He?

He hung himself?

His entire body was in the corner of the room, ne-next to his piano, and dangled... dangled- dangled... over the bed. He... He...

... He... kept dangling... And dangling... And... he was... He had the face of a real corpse... A dead... De-dead-!

Breathe, just breathe! This is a dream! Someone help me!

I clenched onto my shirt in pain as I hugged the floor. My hands clawed my face as I frustratedly cried out of terror.

His body was right in front of my eyes, just my eyes, and I was alone, alone to see this?!

Elias... Elias... Elias!

I crawled to the dangling corpse and looked at his lifeless expression.

He's gone, for real...

He's gone!?

He's not gone!

"ELIAS! Wake up!" I screamed as I started to rip my hair out of my head, "Tell me this isn't fucking real!"

Again, there was absolute silence.

"ELIAS! ELIAS!" I screamed louder and louder, "ELIAS!"

There was no response.

That was it.

"That's it?"

He was fucking gone.

"He's gone?"

I got up and helped my brother down. I covered his body with a blanket and hugged him.

It still smelled just like him. The smell of fresh cologne and the hint of vanilla. I hugged him harder, and harder, suffocating him in my arms to see if he'd budge out a small gasp.

But there was nothing.

[...]

December 23rd.

Two days have passed since his death.

It was the day of the funeral.

I couldn't even look at my brother's dead body when he was inside the casket.

"Was it all my fault?

Why didn't you tell me?

What went wrong?"