𝟑𝟐 || 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐔𝐍 ||

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

𝟑𝟐 || 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐔𝐍 ||

The first thing that greets Takemichi when he steps out of the CPS department are bright stars.

    They shine over Takemichi, creating a secret path in the night sky to a place only the afterlife can go to. The fresh air that hits him is unlike any other, clearing his senses with a single inhale. Takemichi never thought he'd be able to pick out the difference between the air from outside to the stuffy air that fills each household, but here he is—picking out each difference and cherishing the air the plants grant him.

    A light breeze runs through Takemichi's hair, making the boy sigh in relief. It's so sweet and gentle, like a mother's hand picking apart the knots in his hair—

    The curly haired boy turns to his new companion, the one that helped Takemichi escape from the department, and smiles.

    "Thanks for getting me out of there!" Takemichi says joyfully, earning a weird snicker from the tall boy.

    "I didn't just do it for you, little Gaki—I did it cause that place was soooo boringggg~" the tall boy complains, brushing off Takemichi's thanks with ease.

    Takemichi scrunches his face up at the boy who continues to walk away, going who knows where. "Boring? That place was traumatizing..." Takemichi grumbles.

    "It was traumatizing for you cause you're so easy to pick on, little Gaki!"

    "...You're a very mean kid, y'know that Hanma?"

    The tall boy—Hanma—laughs like a maniac; golden eyes narrowing in a chishire like way, portraying the appearance of a sly cat.

    "Of course I do! I wouldn't be me if I wasn't a  little bit cruel~"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Takemichi's first day with Child Protective Services passed in a blur of unshed tears.

    He was constantly crying, huddling away from kids of all ages—ranging from nine to maybe late teens—and isolating himself from the people around him. Some workers would come up to him, trying to whisper words of comfort that felt fake and scripted and Takemichi shouted at them to leave him alone. They did eventually leave Takemichi by himself, but then they started sending kids over to Takemichi to distract him from his sorrow. He didn't hesitate to scream, kick, or even punch the kids who tried to drag him into some game they were playing. He got scolded by the workers for making one of the kids bleed, but Takemichi didn't hear a word of what the worker said, too caught up in his own thoughts.