Chapter 9: Off with the Hair!

***

The day went as usual, although the snakes remained with their incorrect pigmentations on their robes and hair. Everyone finally learnt to address the four boys by their new group name. Although they had come up with it that summer, and began spreading it around since they stepped foot on the Hogwarts Express, now it was public knowledge for all. They also learnt how loud a certain Transfiguration's Professor could scream, and how little Dumbledore cared for disciplining the boys on their vandalism. In fact, it was clear to all that he was amused by the prank, as per usual. However, if the roles had been reversed, and it was a group of Slytherins pranking the Gryffindors in such manner, Dumbledore would have likely had a much different response. 

Classes passed and everyone tried to go back to normal. It was much easier for those in their second year and up, for they were used to the pranks made by the quartet.

Eventually, the classes of the day were over, and Sandy found herself in a nook of the castle, reading one of her textbooks, The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5. She was revising her last class (Charms) teachings, and her homework, when a Slytherin boy walked past her, and checked himself in a large mirror nearby, puffing at the disappointment that his hair had yet to return to normal. He was mumbling to himself words that sounded incoherent to her, perhaps even in French, but she could make out the issue still.

Sandy did not know what possessed her to say anything. Perhaps she thought the prank had been a little much, and that the running gag had gone for long enough. In fact had been over 6 hours since the incident at breakfast. Actually, Sandy didn't realize she spoke, until the words left her mouth. "You could probably fix your hair with the Hair-Thickening Charm."

He whipped around, hands still in his hair, with an undignified frown. "Excuse me?" Although she didn't know who he was, Sandy could tell by his tone that he was not at all pleased with her existence, much less comment. The way he looked at her, despite likely being an inch shorter or so, was as if he was superior to her, and Sandy was nothing but scum in his shoe.

Despite the treatment, she echoed her words, keeping a kind voice, and explained. "The Hair-Thickening Charm? It makes hair grow faster. You could use it to grow it out, and then cut the excess, dyed parts. Its just a suggestion."

The boy knew what hex she was referring to. "It will make it grow too fast." He complained, as it if it was not an option. Although, he held a look of contemplation, wondering if perhaps, taking this Gryffindor's advice was smart. After all, it was four specific Gryffindors that were at fault of his current state. But, then again, he had already tried several Ravenclaws for a fix, and not even his best friend, Barty Crouch Jr, had been able to do anything about it.

"Not if you control the charm properly."

Deciding to take her words as her being a smart-ass, he decided to not ask for assistance politely, but, instead, dare her to not fail. "If you're so talented to do that, show me. Do it."

Looking around to see no one other then them was around, Sandy decided to shrug and nod. Taking her wand in hand, she stood up from the nook, and approached him. While the hot pink and lavender haired boy stood still, Sandy began to work her magic-literally. If she had paid attention to his expression, rather than being positioned behind him (for better access to his hair), she would have noticed something. The way he tensed, and clutched his eyes tightly, steeling for pain. After a few seconds, he heard her soft voice behind him. "Okay, it worked. Now I'll just cut it. Stay still." Indeed, he took a lock of his hair into his hand, and inspected it. The boy also still had a view of the mirror, which confirmed his findings. He could see the upper part being its usual raven black, while the bottom remained hexed in 'girly colours'. It was the same with his longer eyebrow hairs.