Chapter 15: Intervention

***

Sandy tried to avoid people's existence once more when her classes for the day ended. The fear of causing someone to be unborn often got too overwhelming. Even with the Draught of Peace, the anxiety would return every few hours or day. Having learnt that she could still be invaded with people's lives, even if just a little, while sitting in a reading nook, the library, or her common room, Sandy decided to resort to the Room of Requirement. 

To accommodate to all her needs (as far as it was capable), a large room appeared once she went through the entrance. Once the door disappeared behind her, Sandy got a good look around. There was an area with a large table, to study, with a tall bookcase (with books on all kinds of topics, even dark charms), and even a cauldron for her potions homework. On another part of the room was a lounge area for her to take breaks. As for the centre of the room, there was a large space with a familiar faux target practice wizard. In other words, she could easily alternate between doing her homework, reading, chilling, or practising charms for future duels against Death Eaters. 

She easily spend hours in that room, and decided that it would be her new 'secret hiding place' from now on. What she didn't know is that Sirius had met up with Remus after the Ancient Runes class, and with the map, the Black heir had tried to follow her. Indeed, he shortly found the name 'Sandy Reese', as it was the only existing name in records of this time-line on the time-traveller. He saw her footsteps on the map going through the Hall of Hexes (seventh floor), and then disappear halfway through. This was because their (still under development but mostly finished) enchanted map did not detail the Room of Requirement. As a result, he could not understand the reason for her disappearance, and tried for hours to find her on the map. Much to his dismay, this would not be the only time this would happen. His lack of knowledge on this particular room would cause him great frustration, as well as add to the mystery of 'Sandy Reese'. 

Sirius, of course, spread his anxiousness over to his friends. Consequently, when Sandy eventually made it back to the common room (nearing curfew), the four Marauders were waiting for her. "Where have you been all day?! We've been worried sick!" James began first, pointing between himself and the others. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

Sandy just stood there, frozen in shock. What the hell is happening? "Huh?"

"Don't 'huh' Prongs. Answer the question." The Black heir responded next. Both he and James grabbed Sandy's arms, and dragged her to one of the couches, before pushing on her shoulders for her to sit. 

Adjusting his spectacles, James placed his hands on his hips and frowned. "You were right beside us at lunch, and then vanished! Sure, now thanks to Moony, we know you were in the kitchens- for whatever reason! But, later, after class?!? Where the hell have you been?! Who were you with?! Were you safe?!"

Glancing between the four boys, Sandy stared back, perplexed. Sirius arms were crossed over his body, while Remus sat on an armchair nearby, keeping from his book. As for Peter, he was right behind James and Sirius, unsure if he should intervene himself. "I'm sorry, but, since when is what I do any of you guys' business? I explicitly said I didn't want friends." The last part was directed towards Sirius.

In response, said boy spoke next. "We're the Marauders. Breaking the rules is in our DNA."

"Besides," James continued for him, adding onto their nonsensical argument. At least, it seemed that way to the time-traveller. "Moony here-" He gestured at Remus for added effect. "Is prefect of our year, and you're new. That means, one of his duties is to help you. And since he's one of us, that means his duties are our own too."