Chapter 12: Tea & Gossip

***

"Sorry I'm late. I got distracted." Sandy panted as she sat on the chair in front of Dumbledore, while he handed her a cup of earl tea. "Thank you."

He waved it off as nothing. Fawkes chipped beside him, before flying to Sandy's side and taking a nap on her lap. Dumbledore chuckled at Fawkes' unusual behaviour, for he was usually a bit shyer, specially with strangers. Still, the phoenix was quite intelligent, and trusted the bird's judgement with all his decisions. "That is alright, dear. How are you adjusting to this time?"

While petting the sleepy phoenix, Sandy shrugged. There was too much to say, and not the right words to express them. "It's... odd, to say the least. I'm surrounded by dead people- no offence."

"Everyone who you knew dead, still lives. You must know that. This is your new reality."

"Yeah, yeah. I know. But, I can't forget all I know."

"And you mustn't, child. You're knowledge is most important to prevent the future you know, from happening." Taking a sip of his earl tea, Dumbledore paused. "Speaking off, I hear you have been socializing."

Her ears turned red, quickly turning to defend herself. "Yes. I'm sorry. Some people are hard to avoid, 'cause they're persistent. Like Mrs Pott- Lily Evans. Why did she have to be my roommate? And, others, well, I can't help it. I know what fate awaits them, and, like you said, it has to be changed."

"Yes, that was an oversight from my part. Apologies." Truly, it hadn't been. Dumbledore had purposely placed her in the same dorm room as that of Lily and Marlene, given that they both would be in the Order of the Phoenix, and were consequently important to the future (one more than the other). As for Mary, she came as a package deal. "However, you should take the opportunity to keep an eye on her, given her importance. As for the rest, I agree. Who have you been conversing with so far? Peter Pettigrew?"

"What?" No, she had varely spoken to him. In fact, she only heard him speak once to her, at the Gryffindor table, and she never responded to him. Quite honestly, Sandy didn't want to have anything to do with him. He had gotten the Potters killed, framed an innocent man, and brought back Voldemort. 

Dumbledore, on the other hand, considered it to be wise to do something about the rat boy. If Peter had began putting his efforts in the war as a member of the Order of the Phoenix, maybe he could be kept there. Also, he was close friends with three other important individuals. Surely, he could prove to be useful, if his fate was steered in a different direction. "Well, from what you've told me, he was rather influential in both wars. Perhaps, by ensuring his allegiance to the right side, not only would we prevent his actions for Tom Riddle, but he could also put that energy and cunningness for the opposite effect."

Unfortunately, she could understand his point. "I guess. But, no. I haven't. Yet."

"Who then?"

"Profes- Snape. Severus Snape." She was going to have to get used to calling him that now. Sandy had the same problem with Remus. Even in the future, after he stopped being her professor and Mr Lupin had insisted on being called by his first name, Sandy had trouble following through. "We're potions partners now, I guess. And, umm, I met Regulus Black. Helped him get rid of the hex on his hair, which he seemed grateful for. I'm also tutoring Barty Crouch Jr."