Chapter 13: Occamy

***

The next day, Friday, came around. After having retrieved Rowena's Diadem, she returned to the Gryffindor Tower. They got caught by a Hufflepuff prefect, however, since Dumbledore was there to walk her to the tower, no deduction of house points (which were already negative, anyway) took place. Unfortunately, this only made the gossip worse, as she could hear people around her speaking about how being the Headmasters goddaughter was 'already getting her special treatment' against the rules. Well, what did they expect? Besides, something good had to come out of this whole time-travelling drama. 

At this moment, she was in Defence Against the Dark Arts class, which would last two full hours. It came right after History of Magic (a subject she now found ironic). Their DADA teacher, as per usual, was new for the year, which meant she couldn't even get a bit of information on how he was, nor recall what their future self was like. And, as expected, he would only last until June, if he was lucky. The name was completely unfamiliar; Professor Charles Spear. She assumed he must have been irrelevant to history then. 

"I like to always start my Defence Against the Dark Arts classes by testing everyone's skills with duels. This way I know where you're at, and learn your names in the process." Yeah, apparently he had taught at Ilvermorny before coming to the UK. He should have stayed in America. Many people groaned at Professor Spear's plan for the day. A few Slytherins were smirking though, Sandy noticed, shooting intimidating glares at the shyer classmates. "So, I'm going to get you into pairs, and you'll get onto the platform. Everyone will have a turn. I only want to see defensive spells. You'll loose house points otherwise. And, just the same, will win them the better you do. Lets see if we have any initiative here. Anyone want to go first?" As expected, the a few of the Slytherins rose their hands up. So did the Marauders, and a few others from their house, and the other two. Professor Spear pointed at someone from the house of snakes. "You. What's your name, young man?"

A wave of arrogance followed him as he stood up, wand in hand. "Evan Rosier." Sandy recognized his name as one of the Death Eaters. Specifically one destined to die at the end of the First Wizarding War. The one that left the Auror Moody without one eye. He was also the son of another Death Eater too. Pure-blood supremacy ran on the family, but, that wasn't much of a surprise. So, stay clear of that one. Got it

"Then, go onto the plantform, Mr Rosier. And choose who to duel."

The boy seemed more than eager and grateful at the opportunity. He looked around, having a hard time to find whoever he wished to torment. Without finding them, Evan called out their name. "The new girl. Sandy Reese!"

It took her a second to realize it was her that had been called. Bloody hell. Just my luck. Maybe I'm cursed. "Miss Reese? Where are you? Come on up." Their professor commanded, too looking for her, even though he had never met her. This was their first DADA class after all. 

After groaning ever so slightly under her breath, she took her wand, stood up, and rose her other hand. "Coming." On her way to the platform, she met eyes with her roommates, and the Marauders, along with a few other students she was unfamiliar with. They're all looking at me like I'm doomed. I probably am. Well, I guess we all have to die at some point.