Chapter 42: A Bunch of Animals

***

News began to spread about the Gryffindor-Slytherin duo that had saved a girl's life. Marlene was profoundly grateful towards Sandy (and Regulus), practically not leaving her alone, unless it was to tend to her younger sister. Both saviours were getting a lot of attention from professors, students, and ghosts alike. As much as she hated it, Sandy was thankful for the change of topic, as barely anyone seemed to be pestering her about the Thestral, and deceased parents gossip. Regulus, on the other hand, awkwardly basked in the praise, as he kept on trying to point at Sandy's actions instead, insisting he had not done much. That only had the opposite effect, as people now saw him as a humble saviour, including the McKinnon girl in question. 

One of said professors to take pride in Sandy's actions was none other than Professor Slughorn, whom officially invited her into the Slug club. He had recognized not only the incident at the lake, but also the still persisting curse on Mulciber made by her. When he got her going in her interest in how she dabbled in the creation of new charms, and her passion for it, he just had to have her. Additionally, of course, he raved about having 'Dumbledore's goddaughter' among one of his prized members, as if he was a Chocolate Frog Card collections whom had gotten his hands on a limited edition card. 

In truth, back in her time, she had been one of his first students to be asked into the club right after his return as a potions professor. Being invited again was no surprise to her. However, that didn't stop the slight distain thoughts coming to her mind in regards to his choice. If, perhaps, this time around his insistence could have had more to do with the Headmaster than herself. 

Regardless of that, she accepted, and went on about her week. The tutoring lessons with Barty and Regulus had become less tense, as a truce of sorts had been made between her and the latter. As for her lessons with Sirius, well, she was still wondering when she would finally die from asphyxiation or cardiac arrest, all because his eyes met hers occasionally. 

To distract herself of his attractiveness and the giddy feelings emerging from her belly, she had tried to bring Regulus into the conversations they had under the stars (since one of the two subjects he was helping her with was Astronomy). It helped that he had questioned her on him a few times, due to the lake incident. However, it seemed that no matter how she worded things, the boy kept being defensive about considering his brother nothing but a 'bloody snake', 'everyone's favourite' and 'the perfect son he could never be'. She really had her work cut out for her. 

As she sat in her transfigurations class, she listened to a rather ironic lesson plan from professor McGonagall. With the full moon ready to set in a few hours, that evening, learning about Werewolves and Animagi was all but hilarious. Specially with the company she kept in that very classroom. Not that many people would understand. "Alright class, can anyone tell me what is the difference between an Animagus and a Werewolf?" At that, Sirius let out a snort before rising his arm. "Yes, Mr Black?"

"Just about everything, Minnie." The nickname was not ignored, for he was quick to receive a glare from behind her spectacles. And yet, he somehow became immune to it in that moment, and continued on with his explanation. "For one, Animagi have incredible hair. Silky and smooth. A werewolf looks like they've never even heard of a hairbursh." At his comment, Sandy glanced at Remus, finding him looking unnaturally unkept, with messy hair and raggy clothes, as well as pale skin.