Chapter 47: The Black Brothers

N/A: This one is an extra-extra long chapter. I hope you enjoy it. We have the first 'onscreen' interaction between Sirius and Regulus (as the title suggests).

***

Her hands froze, risen in the air, ready to protect herself against her attacker. To her surprise, however, no harm came to her. At least, none that she felt. After all, her sight was currently blocked by a black ball. Upon further inspection, and squinting her eyes, Sandy came to realize it was simply raven hair. Becoming more conscious over her sense of touch, it also occurred to her that she was being hugged. Leaning down to get a closer look at the culprit, she came to a pleasant surprise. So, she wrapped her arms around him back, and embraced him. "Regulus? Are... Are you alright?" Sandy questioned him carefully, worried she may offend him, or make him retreat. 

He nodded, unmoving from his spot, and instead tightened his grip on her. "Are you feeling better?"

"Huh?" Perplexed, all she could do was blink. What the hell is happening? Have I entered yet another alternative universe?

"Pandora says hugs help people feel better. Yours did make me feel better that other time..." Regulus recalled their second meeting, when he had been nothing but harsh to the girl, only to, somehow, feel her presence inviting for a hug. As most as he hated to admit it, the hug he had received then was easily the best he had ever been given. So warm, and gentle, with a touch of love and care (despite having been practically strangers). Back at the Black household, the family weren't big huggers. However, Barty and Pandora introduced him to the seemingly awkward embrace he had seen others do. Somehow, it wasn't as awkward as other people made it seem. "She says I'm supposed to hug you until you feel better. Not that she knew I was asking about hugs for you. Has that kicked in yet? Do you feel better?"

Sandy was still too caught up on the randomness of the hug. While she didn't mind hugging those who needed one, she was getting the impression Regulus, somehow, was not doing it for his own benefit. But, rather, it seemed like the opposite. She could not fathom why. "I feel fine?" She replied hesitantly, unsure of what else to do. 

"You sound unsure. I'll keep hugging you for longer then."

"Regulus... I'm very confused right now." Yes, the hug was very welcomed. Yes, it was helping her with the stress of the day, and her time-travelling dilemmas. However, to her knowledge, the boy did not know anything on her true issues. 

Her words seemed to finally have an impact, leading to the boy pulling away with a frown. In his mind, his 'mission' had been unsuccessful.  "That's probably my fault. I should have hugged you earlier, in the library, when you were crying. I know its been a few days since. The hug is probably useless now... Darn it."

"In the... In the library?" Sandy wrapped her own arms around herself, connecting the dots on what he was referring to. When she was reminded of Luna, by meeting her mother's younger self. Although, in reality, she had never met Pandora until then, not even in her time. She had died before Sandy could. And that only brought more grief. 

"The day you met Pandora. I saw you cry." He was now more straightforward, regardless of his obvious self-disappointment. Regulus kicked the air, shuffling his hands in his pockets in a way his mother would call unproper behaviour. "But, I didn't know how to help. I've been wondering what I should do for a while now... Clearly I've failed to help. I apologize. I'll do better."