Chapter 45: Underneath the Stars

N/A: As a thanks to my lovely, loyal readers, I'd like to do a repeat of last week. So, here you go, with a second update this week :)

***

It was safe to say that Sirius felt bitter about the whole thing. Not only had he found out that his new friend may have a crush, possibly on his brother, but also, she went to see Regulus shortly after his chocolate accident. It turned out to be fine, for he could not get poisoned by the sweet treat. That, however, did not erase his poor mood. After all, the Sandy situation did not change. So, he sulked, and he sulked, while spying on her through the Marauder's Map. This only made him more conscious and curious over her disappearances in the seventh floor. So, he proceeded to try to hang out around Sandy more than usual, mentally claiming it to be for the purpose of finding out this secret passage, but, truly, being much more interested in keeping her away from Regulus. The best way he knew to get her attention was through his tutoring lessons on Astronomy and Transfiguration. Now that they were half-way through October, less than a month away from his birthday, he had the perfect excuse too.

They were currently standing in the Astronomy tower, late at night, looking up at the stars. "Okay, so, we're focusing on just a few of Jupiter's moons this year. Which were those?"

Sandy closed her eyes for a second, as she tried to recall. Slowly, she uttered them back to her unfortunate crush. "Well, most of them are weird names, derived from Greek mythology, and related to Zeus. This is because the planet of Jupiter is named after the Greek deity of the same name, which just so happens to be Zeus' Roman counterpart."

"That's right, keep going."

Her cheeks reddened under his praise, but she ignored the heat, hiding herself behind her hair, as she pretended to think while looking down at the ground. Soon enough, she began her ramble on Jupiter's moons. "Firstly, we have Io. It comes from Greek mythology, she was a priestess of Hera, and one of Zeus's lovers, 'cause that guy got around, as seen with the following moons namesakes too. Secondly, it's Europa, those name comes from Greek mythology, but was a Phoenician princess, mother of King Minos of Crete, and married to King Asterion, and Zeus. Thirdly, Ganymene, was a trojan prince turned cupbearer to the gods, under Zeus' insistence. Those did not sleep together thought. Its like, the one exception in the list. As for Callisto, the last moon we'll be learning about, she was a nymph, and daughter of King Lycaon. She was seduced by Zeus, in the form of Artemis, and got knocked up with Arcas. Hera turned her into a bear, and later sent to the stars to Ursa Major, also known as the Great Bear constellation, by Zeus, in order to not hurt said son."

"See? You got this!"

"I told you, the theory part is easy." She grumbled, expressing her distaste for the subject. Or partial distaste. Honestly, she did enjoy learning about planets and stars. They were also pretty to look at. However, her problem with the subject lied elsewhere. "It's just... Pointing anything out in the sky that I struggle with."

Sirius chuckled, recalling the few times he had tried to help her, either in class, or their tutoring lessons. He noted she found it less troublesome to point them out in parchment, if the stars were already drawn. Sandy would be able to point most of them out by their correct names. However, her skills with the telescope left a lot to be desired. "You'll get there. It's all just practice, and the right teacher. I assure you, you've got the best." He pointed at himself for emphasis, earning him a small chuckle. Regardless of how soft the sound was, it had enough effect on him to make him clutch the side of his chair for support. What the bloody hell is happening to me?