Chapter 40: Altering Fate?

***

That day, word spread about the Care of Magical Creatures class. People kept asking her about witnessing her parents deaths left and right. She barely got a break in each of her classes, and avoided lunch at the Great Hall, instead opting to eat with the House Elves at the kitchen. After her classes, she went to hide in the Room of Requirement, seeing as not even the Marauders could follow her there. 

Granted, those four boys had been the least exasperating of all of her classmates. In fact, most times that someone approached her with questions or gossiping around her on their theories as to how she could see Thestrals, they were the first to respond. Either they pulled them away from her, told them to shut up, or a combination of those with a little extra. In one case, a Amos Diggory got punched in the face, with him ending up with a black eye, and Sirius with detention. The quartet also tried to be the ones to seat beside her in classes, with Peter even tripping one of said gossipers whom tried to take spot beside her at Transfiguration class. Remus had also responded with very loud insults towards a certain Rabastan Lestrange. She didn't think he had it in him. Honestly, Sandy herself hardly understood most of the swears that came out of his mouth. As for James, he found a way to not let Sirius spend detention alone, by jinxing a student to repeatedly throw up after they asked Sandy whether her parents were able to 'put much of a fight against the dark wizard that killed them'. 

She had not been a stranger to these kind of questions, not even in 1975. There were some on her first days after her arrival, as everyone understood she had to be an orphan in order to be taken in by her 'godfather', Professor Dumbledore himself. However, now that people knew for certain she had seen death, it was even worse than back in her time. At home, she at least had Luna, and Harry, both whom genuinely understood how she felt for different reasons. For, Luna too had witnessed the death of a parent, while Harry was also an orphan living under the care of his aunt and uncle, alongside his cousin. Granted, Sandy admitted to have it better with the Grangers than he did with the Durseys. Much better. Regardless, whenever she was feeling sad, it as only them that she would go to, or Neville, as not even Hermione could help much. It was with Harry whom she would spend her parents death anniversary with together, and vice versa. Now, she no longer had her support system. 

Sure, she admitted that there were people in this time who were nice, like her roommates and the Marauders. However, with them, she couldn't be honest, nor could she risk altering their futures the wrong way. There was no one other than Dumbledore she could admit the truth to, and he was not about to be her therapy friend. The man had too much to worry about, and, quite frankly, it would be weird, and uncomfortable. 

With everyone else, she had to pretend their death had been recent, and different. Not to mention, she couldn't really speak of all the other individuals those death she witnessed. The faces she saw when she closed her eyes while awake, or asleep (in the case she didn't take her dreamless sleep potion). There were times she would walk into a hallway, and be reminded of a duel against a Death Eater there, and seeing someone die. Anywhere and everywhere on the Hogwarts school grounds had turned into a tomb that no one knew about. It certainly didn't help when she saw actual ghosts flying about. 

Eventually, she decided that she needed fresh air, or she was going to suffocate in the stone walls of what once felt like the safest and happiest place. And that's how she ended up in surrounded by grass and flowers. Naturally, she was on the potion for her allergies, given that it was still September, and pollen lingered as tree leaves began turning all shades of yellow and orange.