Chapter 55: Surprises

***

"Happy birthday, Sandy." Severus awkwardly stated as he sat beside her in the Great Hall. Although there was a temperature spell to make the gigantic room incredibly warm and cosy, there was a coldness to it. Very few people were present at breakfast, since most had gone home to their families. Christmas had taken place two days prior, one after everyone had left, and today was the 27th. Although, technically, the girl had been born in August 30th of 1982, her time travel had screwed up with her concept of time. Having come from May 2nd of 1998, to August 31st of 1975, her 'new birthday' by her and Dumbledore's calculations, had indeed become the 27th of December, 1959. This made her nearly 'older' than most of her peers in her year, minus for instance Sirius. 

"Thank you, Sev." She knew why he felt odd at the congratulation. They had spoken about it, the subject of presents. To not bother other people, whom had insisted on gifting her something, she in turn announced that just the Christmas present was enough. And, in fact, she knew what the Slytherin boy had given her two days prior was actually paid by Lily, for he came from an impoverished household. Not that most people knew that. He hid it well. And of course, that would be even easier after the presents he had acquired from Lily and Sandy. Clothes, some more expensive than others, such as his black, warm robes that he was currently wearing. "Good morning."

"You too." Neither of them had gone through the trouble of asking the other why they had stayed at Hogwarts during the break. They both knew. Sandy's guardian was Dumbledore, and therefore there was no other place to go, and Severus, well, he'd like to stay as far away from his father as long as possible. "Are you thinking of doing anything special today?"

With a shrug, she dung into her scrambled eggs. "Dumbledore wants me to formally meet his brother in Hogsmade. Aberforth is actually the owner of the Hog's Head Inn." She had met him, in her time line, but up until that moment, they had yet to do so. Albus Dumbledore had spoken to Sandy during one of their 'afternoon tea' sessions about coming clean to Aberforth on her time travels, and, although reluctant, she agreed. The man now knew of her true 'past', and wanted to formally meet her. At least, this would get her mind off her worry for the Black brothers for a bit.

Severus leaned a bit closer to her, peaking her interest as he spoke softer. "The Gryffindor's are planning on throwing you a party the day after they all return from their families. They've been planning it for a while, before they left. Act surprised when it happens."

She let out a laugh at his revelation. "Okay, I will. You didn't have to tell me though."

But the boy felt like he had to. Apart from the clothes he had gotten, Sandy had gifted him with a notebook filled with a number of spells she'd know he'd find useful. While he would have gotten offended and defensive at almost anyone who would give him spells on how to magically repair holes or discoloration in clothing, the girl had been smart about it. She had insisted that for a while, she had lived with her aunt and uncle, and 'felt awkward asking for new things', such as clothes, whenever they got small or ripped, and that she had personally found those spells useful (something that, in her defence, was actually true). She had made it sound like she believed that was the true reason for Severus' occasional poor appearance in his clothing. But, despite the attempt at discretion, he had caught on that she indeed knew of his situation, regardless of the veracity of her story. Severus decided to not mention it, along with his thoughts on why she wasn't living with her aunt and uncle anymore. He feared he knew the answer for the latter, however mistaken. "I just wanted you to know that no one's forgotten." His eyes went behind her for a second, as he grinned slightly. "Speaking of..."