Chapter 36: Walbitch

First of all, let's start the day with wishing you all Happy New Year!!! What are your new year resolutions?

Enjoy the chapter, and the start of this year :)

***

After they were done with the potion (or rather, Sandy was, since Sirius was just an spectator), they hand delivered the vials to Dumbledore, and returned to the Gryffindor tower. While Sandy went off to bed, Sirius was quick to let his three best friends what had transpired, leaving a very excited, restless werewolf to barely catch any sleep in anticipation. In fact, the morning later, Remus was called into Dumbledore's office, and received the vials with the instructions. He was quick to put then in a safe space at his dorm, and look for Sandy. Once he found her, he hugged her tight, giving her no explanation (although, she needed none, for she knew), and 'thanked her for existing'. 

The day had gone by, and now Sandy found herself in the common room, playing chess with Peter. Or, rather, loosing repetitively. Out of seven games, she had only won once, for it seemed that Peter was always several steps ahead of her.  It frustrated her greatly, specially knowing that if she didn't manage to stop him from being led astray, the future would suffer. "You know, you are a very talented strategist." And so, her plan was to try to get rid of his flaws, and insecurities. The ones that may have caused his downfall. Give him enough reason and courage to stay as one of the good guys.

Peter looked up from the chessboard as he reordered all the pieces for a new round, and grinned widely. "Really? You think so?"

One of the things she believed to be where Peter was flawed was wanting to get out of James and Sirius' shadow. So, giving him confidence over his own skills seemed like a good start. "Think? Oh, I'm pretty sure it goes beyond that. Its a certainty."

Although he smiled for a moment, it soon disappeared. Then, he looked down and shook his head, shrugging her words away. "I don't know. I mean, its not really a big thing... It's just chess."

"Don't try to downplay your skills, Pete." Sandy stated quickly before making the first move with a pawn. Her words were entirely truthful, for she knew it had been him who managed to bring Voldemort back from the dead. It was him who managed to betray the Potters, frame Sirius, and hid for over a decade while getting free accommodation from one of the most loyal families from the Order of the Phoenix. He had talent, but, Sandy had to make sure it was not used for evil. 

He smiled at the nickname and compliment, but still lightful shrugged it off. Then he made his move on the board. "Okay." Peter hoped that would be enough to get her to stop, as his cheeks reddened at the praise, however small. 

"I mean it. You're kicking my ass over and over again."

It was then that he decided to take on a cheek approach, and tease her about her own skills at the game before them. "You're not very good at chess though."

"Oh?" She let out an airily laugh, alongside releasing a playful glare his way. "Is that how it is? Oh, I'm so going to enjoy kicking your ass for a change."

Peter puffed out his chest and fully grinned this time, beginning to feel more confident, as it was intended. "You mean, trying and failing?"

"You are so on, Pete!" She made what must have been her 17th move, only for the boy to follow it up with killing her queen. "Oh, come on!" That earned her a chortle as she pouted. "That is not fair!" And, at that moment, suddenly, she felt a pair of arms encircle her from behind. Her heart was quick to speed up its rate, as the familiar scent of wet dog hair, leather, charcoal, and smoke filled her nostrils. For, as far as she knew, there was only one individual with that combination of smells.