Chapter 39: Death

***

Professor Silvanus Kettleburn was a rather old man. Sandy had only seen him briefly in her time, for he had retired right before her very first year at Hogwarts. Sometimes he would pop by, and that's how she got to catch a glimpse of him. Usually this was to get his enchanted prosthetics replaced, as his constant visits to dragon sanctuaries tended to end rather... Fiery and smoky. It was safe to say the wooden prosthetics never survived said visits. 

Currently though, he was her professor for Care of Magical Creatures. It was a fascinating subject, in Sandy's eyes, for neither the animals she had seen in zoos, in the UK or Australia, compared to the magical kind. Yet, her enthusiasm could not compare with her professor's, whom, despite loosing two limbs (now replaced with odd prosthetics). 

That didn't stop her from admiring his courage, for she knew he had lost those in his life quest to protect magical creatures of all kinds. Regardless, Sandy still though he still could do with a safety precautions class from... Anyone who offered it. 

"I love learning about magical creatures. I never saw a single one until coming to Hogwarts! You know, since I'm a Muggle-born." Lily grinned widely as Sandy and Severus walked side-by-side her. The entirety of their class was being guided towards the Forbidden Forest for their lesson, while their professor refused to reveal what creature he'd be teaching them about that day. 

Sandy couldn't help but nod in agreement, although she caught herself before revealing anything. Honestly, she had felt the same way about the class when first coming to Hogwarts. However, thanks to her cousin Hermione, also a Muggle-born, being two years older, Sandy was able to learn of the Wizarding World at the young age of 9. As a result, when the family went by to visit Diagon Alley, Sandy had the chance to buy books for herself, and learn all about spells and magical creatures before her Hogwarts education. A head start of sorts. Still, that did not compare to seeing these creatures in person. But, Sandy could not comment on her true experience, as that would reveal that she was not a Half-blood, and therefore begin to crumble her fake identity. "Magical creatures are tremendous. Some intimidating, but, interesting nonetheless. Do you have a favourite creat- shit."

Severus and Lily followed her line of sight, concerned over how hard her eyes had turned, mixed in with surprise. Nonetheless, all they saw was their professor. "What is it?" The boy knew he was far from talented at the art of comforting friends, but, as Lily always told him, it was the effort that counted. That did nothing to reassure him. All the same, he tried. "Has Professor Kettleburn done something?"

Before she could answer, they were interrupted by the loud crackles of four other boys out in the back, making their way to the front of the group. Since their professor had stopped, all the students too gathered around him, and what they could not see. Or, at least, what most were unable to. Lily scoffed at the Marauders' antics. "When will they shut it?"

"There's a spell for that." Severus offered with a shrug. It mattered not that he seemed perfectly innocent, for he was suggesting a dark charm. "It's quite simple. The incantation is just 'Oscausi'."

"Sev-" Just as Lily was going to scold at her friend, their professor began the lesson.

Standing up high (although, wobbling with his prosthetic leg in the process), Kettleburn gestured to the seemingly empty space behind him. "Alright, today we are learning about very special creatures. They are right here," He gestured, but most students saw nothing, and began mumbling about him loosing it. "Raise your hands those who can see them!"