Chapter 48: Match Making & Misunderstandings

***

The Marauders and Sandy all sat together in the Gryffindor common room. Although Sandy had tried to sneak away to the Room of Requirement, she was dragged there to hang out with them. She settled for doing her homework in their presence, Remus and Peter joining her on the task. As for James and Sirius, they both spoke loudly for the other three to hear, as they discussed the latest in the Black family gossip. "So, since we did that Muggle therapy thing, Regulus and I... Well, we're not yelling at each other any more, so, that's good." His worn out, nearly full sketchbook lied on his lap, as he used a piece of charcoal to draw pictures of him and his brother, peaceful hanging out, with the rest of his friends. He made sure to add his parents on the picture too, at the corner, with crossed arms, excluded from the gathering. 

"Well done, Sandy!" James gave ha a double thumbs up at her efforts, before nodding at Sirius enthusiastically. "So, things are better."

"Yes! You know, he said he owled me every single day since I came to Hogwarts that year, until the Christmas break. But, since I, well, said some things due to the misunderstanding-we-shall-not-speak-of-ever-again, he stopped after I came back for the next semester. And this was despite him not knowing that I was owling him once a week until that Christmas. We were both persistent until we thought the other hated us... It's safe to say that I have scheduled a screaming match with our father when we get back for Christmas this time."

"And he told you about the Sorting Hat thing!" Peter reminded him cheerfully. As it turned out, the reason the Sorting Hat had hesitated with Regulus' placement being nearly long enough to be considered a Hatstall, which had been due to his still persistent desire to get back together with his brother. However, he ended up asking for the hat to place him in Slytherin, since being ignored by Sirius all summer long, and not allowed to sit beside him on the train made him doubt going against his parents wishes. Peter, of course, had been nearly the most static to hear these news, since his own sorting too had been between the same two houses.

"Yes!" With a loud shout, Sirius nodded vigorously. "I mean, do you guys realize that if I had just spoken to my brother, he may have ended up in Gryffindor too? I'm so bloody stupid." He then proceeded to flip through the worn out sketch book to an empty page, and began drawing his brother's sorting ceremony.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news and all, but, I know you." Remus then added, finishing up his potions homework. "Just because that happened, and you guys may be able to patch things up, it doesn't mean he doesn't... You know... That he didn't stop believing in pure-blood supremacy. Just- just saying." He rose his hands up in defence at the intense looks he received, and returned back to his stuff, looking for more homework to complete. 

This was, possibly, the only reason Sandy was allowing herself to spend time with them that moment. Originally, she had wanted to run away as to not mess anything up (after that scare the other day with James and Lily). Regardless, she had taken notice on how her efforts seemed to be making a difference with the Black brothers. "That doesn't mean he doesn't have the potential to change his mind, although, personally, I don't think he's too deep into that."

Far too caught up in the idea of getting back with his brother (as he had been for a few days), Sirius decided to listen to the optimist instead. "Right? I mean, Andy could do it. Why can't he? Besides, he's friends with you, and he helped save Marlene's sister-"