--07--

A whole week of school was over

A whole week of school was over. I had never been more excited for the weekend, to be away from the stares and the whispers.

It had got easier, with the boys on my side and I showed everyone not to mess with me in the cafeteria. They still talked about me but made it a lot less obvious.

"I have an idea!" Aiden shouted from the backseat, I had managed to win a bet against all of them which gave me shotgun for the rest of the time I'm in their cars.

"Oh no..." Jordan mumbled from next to me.

Us three had just gone to the cinema, Carter didn't want to because he was in an especially bad mood. The others knew why but didn't tell me and I didn't push it. I know how difficult it is to bring up your past.

"What is it?" I asked, enthusiastically. His ideas usually ended up in injury or possible death, but it was all fun.

"Tomorrow we can go Go-karting on like  a proper track. And then if we beat Astrid, like she did to us in Mario Kart, she doesn't get to sit in the front all the time." He waved his hands around energetically, a smile bigger and brighter than before.

"Aiden, you're the only one who cares about the front seat, but yeah it sounds fun. You get to ask Carter when we go inside, though."

"There's no way in Hell I'm doing that."

They both looked at me with a grin.

"No. I'm good. One of you should do it. We aren't that good of friends. Nope. Not me."

They both carried on staring at me.

"I nominate Astrid." Aiden kicked the back of my chair, with a smug grin on his face.

"I second that." Jordan nodded, going around the roundabout.

--

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door of Carter's bedroom. It was his room that I had stayed in the first few hours I was there.

The room was dark, there was no light coming through the blinds, so I figured he was asleep.

"Come in..." he grumbled quietly.

I opened the door, barely being able to see what was in front of me.

"You can turn on the lamp." he said, pointing to a small lamp on his bedside table.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, sitting next to him on his double bed.

"Ok."

"What's the truth?"

"I feel like shit, like I'm about to fucking die."

I nodded slightly, facing him as he layed down, only his eyes poking out of the covers. He massaged his head and opened his green eyes, staring into my soul.