Why?

23rd July

After weeks of chasing loose ends, I finally have the name of the necromancy witch; her working name is Bristlecast.

I have sent a message to her, begging for her help.

The necklace is still hidden; it is nowhere in the house.

It's the only thing to save my dear daughter from the repetitive cycle.

She deserves more than an early death.

~Nick

____________

Leo's magic simmered over his skin; his face was dark as he listened to what Isobelle told him. His anger was felt and seen. Rage filled his core.

Why?

What was going through her mind?

To push her magic through the lock was a death sentence. All hope left his being. No matter how much she improved, there was no coming back from that. Now was a waiting game to her death.

"I need a moment."

Leo stood from the chair and exited the ward. He took deep breaths as he walked to keep his anger at bay.

He seethed as he finally got outside and around the side of the building.

His mind reeled as he released his anger on the brick wall. Thud.

Why? Did Lexi have no regard for her own life? Thud.

Why did she push through the lock?

Why did Nixon force it onto her? Thud. Why that spell?

Why did they take her? Why couldn't Cornelius leave them alone and find another witch? Why them?

Thud, "Damn it!" Leo bellowed.

A sharp pain registered in his nerves. He had scraped and bashed his knuckles until the wall was bloody. His hands throbbed, but his mind was now calmer.

There were many people to blame.

He leaned against the wall and sighed. Deep down, he knew why. Why Lexi took action: She loved her friends fiercely; she would take the bullet for her family.

Leo was angry at himself for letting her go alone. He loathed not getting to her sooner and realising she was in danger.

"Leo?"

Leo turned to the breaking voice; Alex stood at the corner looking towards him.

Clearing his throat, Alex continued, "They have taken her for more tests. You might want to get that checked out." Alex gestured to Leo's knuckles.

"It's only minor. I am a klutz."

Leo wasn't kidding anyone. Alex wasn't an idiot; he could practically hear the punches inside the hospital but nodded anyway.

Leo's blue magic raised around his hands. He was repeating 'Soona' every so often. After a few minutes, his knuckles were as good as new.

"You know. No one will blame you if you go back and get some sleep," Alex's voice broke in towards the end.

Leo couldn't help but chuckle, "It's annoying, right? The voice."

Alex rolled his eyes, "Super-duper. I hope it evens out quick."

His voice shifted again, and Leo tried to hold his laugh. Stepping closer to Leo, Alex thumped his shoulder hard.

____________