Anger

That was enough to get me running for the door. Pulling on my shoes, I glanced at the clock: 2 pm.

"Where are they?" I loudly asked as Lathen scampered behind me, stuffing his phone into his pocket.

"School Courtyard. They can't do anything-" I didn't wait to hear the rest of his sentence. Luckily, it was a 5-minute walk away; running made it less.

Before even getting through the gates, the chanting was evident. Teachers scrambled to get past the students, squeezing themselves through the tight circles. It was a free-for-all. Lathen caught up behind me.

"Fuck," he whispered breathlessly.

I could see the top of Devan's mop in one of the centres. It seemed Alex wasn't the only one fighting. The chants drowned out the shouting from within.

"Oi! MOVE," I screamed at the top of my lungs, panting.

I don't know what caused them to even listen to me, but a banshee scream would make anyone freeze. The chanting continued, yet those who heard it began whispering and parting like the Red Sea.

Getting closer to Devan, I saw a glimpse of my brother. His nose dripped in blood, a scuff on his lip and a cut on his brow. Devan was holding him back, but he was struggling.

"Move it!" I pulled and pushed the bodies away.

The whispers grew, and two teachers finally broke through to the other fights breaking out.

I stared at my brother and the other pupil. Both were focused only on each other, huffing and grunting to break out of the hold of other, older pupils who had them locked.

I stood before my brother, making him break eye contact, but what I saw made me pause.

Dark amber eyes stared back at me.

Those weren't human.

"Alright! That's enough! Entertainment is over!" The principal shouted over a megaphone; it squeaked and whined. It forced Alex to stop struggling against Devan, instead clutching his ears.

Alex grumbled, and Devan didn't move away from him, clasping his shoulders. I could see Devan panting.

Gulping, I stepped closer to Alex. Only for him to be bombarded by a teacher and, by the scruff of his shirt, marched to the office.

"Lexandria..." Coach touched my shoulder, making me turn to her, "We need to chat about your absence."

I groaned; this was the last thing we needed.

I sat in the coach's office; the smell of sweat and teenage BO was stifling. She said nothing for a reasonable amount of time. Instead, she typed away on her computer.

My anxiety rose as the ticking clock and mechanical clack of her typing became louder.

"Stop shaking your leg," Coach lectured; she didn't look up from her screen, but my leg continued to bounce.

She clicked on a few things before pushing away from her mouse and keyboard and leaned back in her chair. I shifted in my seat.

"Your mum said you were sick, but you and I know that is a lie."

I nodded sheepishly, "A lot has been going on at home."

"Hm, I can imagine," she said, "Whatever is happening, it has affected your brother. His sweet demeanour has vanished."

Before I could reply, there was a knock at the door behind me. Coach waved her hand to the person and allowed them in.