Chatsworth House

The sun had barely reached the sky, and we stood, holding hands, watching the old Victorian house with Edward inside. Back into the Astral once more.

"That tree isn't blooming..." I noted.

"Hm, the temperature seems colder too. Look at the servants." Leo gestured to the maids wrapped in thicker clothing.

"That means it must be winter... but before or after Anna's death?"

A carriage was prepped and awaiting outside the large Victorian house we had become painfully familiar with.

Edward emerged, dressed and well-groomed in a black suit and top hat.

He said nothing other than getting into the back of the carriage. It lurched forward, and we followed. The nauseous feeling returned to me; we were walking but keeping up with the faster carriage—travel sickness.

We followed it to an extravagant house.

"This... I know this place," I murmured.

The large windows gave a clear view into the well-lit house. It bustled inside, people conversing, dancing, and drinking. It was a party...?

Edward stepped out, straightening his jacket before walking in.

"You know this place?" Leo asked, nudging my arm.

"I think it's Chatsworth House. Mum used to bring us here as kids. Amazing!"

A smile lit my face, and I looked up at the beautiful structure.

Carriages pull up one after another; guests filtered into the large rectangular home. Grand windows lined the first and second floors, all coated in gold; the stone steps looked barely worn, and the garden was immaculate. I could hear water splashing from far away—the large river and lake at the rear.

A newer building to the north made the main house much older and weathered.

__________

"Come on... We shouldn't lose Edward." Leo tugged my hand, pulling me out of my inspection.

He had just entered the large doors and greeted another male, "Will!"

"Eddie, good to see you, friend." They shook hands fiercely, holding the crook of the elbow.

"How's the lords?" Edward smiled.

"Same old... How's Mary-Ann?"

"Same old," Edward grimaced while Will laughed.

"Don't be like that! Your future wife is lovely to look at. Will she be here?"

"My future wife? It is my mother who set up that arrangement! And I believe she will be yes."

__________

"This must be before Anna and Edward met..." I said to Leo, watching the two men enter the crowd.

We followed them, walking through people like ghosts.

"Hm, Mary-Ann must have been the original girl he was to marry, just as his mother mentioned."

"I wonder if they ever did get married after Anna."

"We may never know."

__________

As the night moved on, Mary-Ann did indeed attend the party with her family, and it seems Edwards's mother also came with them.

"Mary-Ann... She looks familiar..." Leo trailed off.

"Hm? Familiar how...?" I trailed off.

"I'm not sure."

__________