Letter

I needed a break from the books. Not only did reading Dad's and Grandma's books bring back memories, but it was also an emotional rollercoaster. For one second, I thought pieces were falling into place. The next, it was all thrown out the window.

I gave Sooty a job for the first time in his life. Let me put the necklace on him and keep it safe. He obliged. Seeing him with a collar on was weird, but it still gave me the heebie-jeebies.

Luckily, Leo was a perfect distraction. It was Thursday, and with our fingers entwined, he pulled me along the rows of stores. We were in the nearest shopping mall. Leo held a couple of light bags as we continued down. Laughing and joking at work stories.

"Ooh! Look, shiny!" I say, tugging him in front of a crystal store.

Glancing at him, I swiftly marched into the open store while he chuckled.

______________

We sat next to one another at the busy food hall, discussing what I had recently found out from the two books of shadows.

"Damn. So, he just went back to America? Did he ever come back?"

I shrug at his question, "No idea if he did; I haven't got to that part yet. She gave no last name. After finding out, she must have gone back to her maiden name quickly."

I looked at the people bustling in the distance, thinking, "Although my dad and Grandma mentioned the same name. Maybe we should try to reach out to them to help us?"

"Well, it's the best lead we have." He threw an arm over my shoulders, "What's the name?"

My attention returned to his face, and I leaned on him, "Hm, I can't remember...Begins with a B... Anyways, she is somewhere in Scotland, a necromancer, according to my dad."

Leo's eyes narrowed, "A necromancer...? How could they help with our past lives?"

I shrug, "Beats me. But as you said, it's the only lead we have."

Leo sighed, "Back to Scotland... Hm, I can't say I miss the cold air, but I'll be sure to keep you warm." He looked down and winked at me.

I couldn't help but giggle and shift closer to his warmth. His scent enveloped me. My mind was elsewhere, still trying to remember the damn name.

"You're going to be annoyed until you remember it now, aren't you?" he smiled and pushed the wrinkles forming in my brows.

"Yes, I am," I said, determined.

"Brussels.. no, Brass?" I whispered, "Brusslecast?" I tried.

"Bistlecast?" he spoke quietly, eye narrowed as he pushed the name.

Bingo.

"Yes! That's it! Bistlecast!" My smile quickly dropped as I noticed his tense muscles.

"You know the name..." I stated.

His mouth formed into a grim line, and he sighed through his nose.

"I think I do," he muttered, "I hope I'm wrong."

Leo did not explain further, especially after a phone call from his Da asking for us to babysit.

___________

"Hi, Rowan!" I greeted.

I held my hands to the two-month-old and took him from Cynthia, cooing and asking questions in a baby voice, responding to his garble like we were chatting.

With a bright and relieved smile, Cynthia thanked us both for the favour.

"It's fine," Leo said, "That's what big brothers are for."