friends don't {chris olave)

Couldn't even tell you why

They just felt like saying, "Hi"

Friends don't stand around, playing with their keys

Finding reasons not to leave

Tryna hide the chemistry

Drive a little too slow (Slow)

Take the long way home (Home)

Get a little too close (Close)

We do but, but friends don't

friends don't - maddie & tae

You lay on Chris's couch as he got ready to go to practice. You were scrolling on TikTok, laughing and liking different videos and you heard Chris shuffling around gathering his things. You two went to breakfast earlier and you decided to stay over at his house and watch some TV with him before he had practice.

You felt a hand on your head and gazed up to see Chris smiling at you with his bag on his shoulder. You smiled softly back at him and locked your phone to give him your full attention.

"I have to leave now. I don't want to be late again and get a lecture about how your beauty can't be used as an excuse to not be on time," he joked with you, making you laugh and lightly blush. "It's just a quick practice so I'll should be home early today."

"Okay," you sighed sitting up, making his hand drip. "Have a good practice and be safe, please."

"I promise, Y/n," he walked toward his key rack to get his car keys and made his way to the door but stopped when you got off the couch and picked up your pair of shoes. "What are you doing?"

"Going home?" You questioned him, puzzled as to why he was confused about what you were doing.

"I thought you were going to stay and then we'll go to dinner after practice."

"What am I going to do at your house when you're gone? I don't want to invade your space."

"You're not going to invade my space," he walked over to you and held your shoes so you couldn't put them on. "You can watch some TV or take a nap and I promise I'll be back soon."

"But," you went to argue but he shook his head, shutting down your excuses.

"You're always welcome at my place, sweetheart. You're my best friend. My home is your home."

You nodded reluctantly, going back to lie in your previous spot. He set your shoes down and went back over to his front door to leave this time.

"Your ass still better be here when I get back, Y/N," you rolled your eyes and shooed him out.

"Go! I'll see you later, C!" He smiled again at you before going to practice.

You sighed as he left you alone in his house. You and Chris have been friends since he got drafted to New Orleans. You met at a bar one night and kept in touch ever since then. You supported him through his rookie season and the two of you spent his offseason in California with some of your mutual friends.

You have to admit that you had feelings for Chris but you were too scared to admit them to him. The two of you have developed a very close relationship and you knew everything about each other so you didn't want to do anything that would affect your friendship. Plus you were sure that Chris didn't return your feelings. He always made sure to remain friendly and never crossed the boundaries between friends and lovers.

You watched tv as you waited for Chris to come home and you perked up when you heard the door knob twist. A smile spread on Chris's face as he noticed you were still right where he left you. You hugged your legs as you sat up and shot a wide smile at him.

"How was practice?" You asked softly.

"It was good. I missed you," he set down his bag by the door and made his way over to you on the couch. He pulled your legs down and laid on the couch, hugging your waist. "What did you do when I was gone?"

"I just watched some episodes of Criminal Minds," you lightly rubbed his back up and down.

"See, it wasn't too bad to be here all by yourself right?"

"No, I was okay." You confessed to him, making him squeeze your waist tighter.

"You were comfortable?" He asked, making you hum in agreement. "You're always welcome here, y/n."

The moment started to feel a bit more intimate, so you awkwardly laughed and moved your hand off of his back. "I am quite hungry now though."

"Let's go, kid."

***
You looked out the windows of Chris's car as he drove you home. You two had just finished dinner and now it was time for you to go home. You turned to him in confusion and he smiled back when he noticed your look.

"This is the long way," you stated, although you knew that he knew that.

"I know," he remained silent for a minute as he tapped the gear stick. "I wanted to spend more time with you."

You moved your hand to touch his and squeezed it, beaming up at him. When you went to move your hand away, he turned his over and interlocked your fingers together. You blushed lightly and looked away as his thumb swiped across your knuckles.

You two remained in silence while holding hands as he continued to take the long way home.

When you finally arrived, he took his seatbelt off and made his way to open your door. He walked you to the front door before turning to face you. He interlocked both of his hands with your hands and smiled. He swayed your hands together in between the two of you before pulling you closer to him.

"I'll see you soon, yeah? I'll text you as soon as I get home."

"Okay, please drive safe."

"I will," he backed away slowly but still kept ahold of your hands. "Hey, y/n?"

You looked up at him to see him biting his lip and staring intensely at him. "Yeah?"

"Do you maybe want to go out to dinner tomorrow night? I heard there's this perfect restaurant downtown and I thought that you might like it," when you open your mouth to answer, he cuts you off. "But maybe it would be more like a date."

You looked at him with surprise in your eyes. "A date?"

"Yeah if it's okay with you."

You looked down to hide your widening smile and squeezed his hand even tighter. "I think I would like that."

"Okay, a date it is."

You both sat in a comfortable silence, not wanting to break from your bubble.

"I really like you y/n, and I have for a while. I didn't want to tell you because I wasn't sure how you felt, but I would like it if we gave this a chance," he confessed. You let go of his hands, causing fear to shine in his eyes, but you just wrapped your arms around his waist.

"I really like you too, Chris. I didn't tell you because I didn't think you could ever feel the same way," he tightly reciprocated the hug and let out a sigh of relief.

"I didn't think you liked me at all! I was doing everything to get your attention," he confessed into your hair.

"You've always had my attention, Chris. From the day, we first met."

"Good. I hope I never lose it."

You looked up into his eyes and flashed him a wide smile, knowing that your best friend was now going to be your lover.

"I don't think you ever will."

***
thank you so much for reading! I hope you all enjoyed! vote, comment, follow! whatever floats your boat! < 3