VIII. Roseanne

"I

"I...I THINK I'm your daughter."

The words rolled off of Julianna's tongue with hesitation. The awkward silence between them made Julie avert her eyes to the wooden patio.

Jamie took slow steps towards Julie, making the girl glance up at her as the floor creaked with each step. Julianna flinched when the woman placed her soft, warm hands on either side of Julie's face, examining her features with delicacy .

"Annie?" Julie saw the tears forming in the woman's eyes as her voice cracked. "Is it really you?" The woman used one of her hands to run her fingers through Julie's hair.

"It's me mom" Julie whispered with a sad smile. The woman sadly laughed before the two hugged each other tightly, holding each other. The two cried as they held each other, too afraid that one might drift away if they don't hold on tight enough.

The mother had finally reunited with her daughter.

---

"WHAT DO YOU mean you don't know?" Nora talked into the phone before there was a knock at her door. She pulled the phone away from her ear before shouting, "It's open!" from her spot on the couch.

The door opened and Daniel came inside with a brown bag, closing the door behind him. Nora uttered a quiet 'hey' to him before bringing the phone back up to her ear.

"You're meaning to tell me that no girl around the age of 12-14 with red hair and different colored eyes boarded your bus around 8pm last night?" She spoke angrily into the phone as Daniel sat on the couch next to her.

"Who are you on the phone with?" Daniel whispered in a hushed voice to her. Nora held up her finger, silently telling him to wait a moment.

"How are you having trouble finding her? She sticks out a lot, don't you think?"

A moment of silence passed before she rolled her eyes, groaning, "You know what? Forget it, goodbye!" She hung up, slamming the phone down.

She leaned her head back on the couch with closed eyes and a huff.

"Still no luck?" Daniel questioned, sort of already knowing the answer. "Nope" Nora replied before sitting up in the chair, "Said they don't know if they can find anyone that fits the description that got on the bus."

"I'm sorry, Nora. I'm sure she's safe" Daniel put a hand on her back, rubbing in an up and down motion.

Nora nodded her head towards the brown bag on the floor that Daniel brought in, "What's that?"

Daniel picked up the back, opening it to reveal multiple movie tapes, bags of chips and snacks. "Figured this would help you calm down and relax while we wait for updates on Julie."

"Daniel, I can't--"

"I know what you're going to say Nora. And I know how worried you are for Julie. But at this point, you've tried everything and there's nothing else to do but wait."