X. Mind Flayer

THE CHILDREN THAT were left behind at the Byers house was on clean up duty, it being the only thing to do while everyone else was away

Steve and Dustin were putting the demo-dog, that had previously broke through the window earlier, in the refrigerator since Dustin had persuaded Steve into it, explaining that this could be a great discovery.

Lucas was busy sweeping the broken glass from the window up off the floor as Max helped him by holding the dustpan in place. Ashton was also helping out by finding a blanket and putting it over the window as an attempt of temporarily fixing it.

Nora, Daniel and Jamie sat in the dining room table where Nora was explaining everything that Daniel and Jamie had missed the previous year.

Mike, however, couldn't stop pacing back in forth in the living room. He had been doing this ever since everyone else left.

Lucas watched the boy walk back in forth, deep in thought. Lucas stopped sweeping, looking at Mike with a deadpan expression, "Mike, would you just stop already?"

Mike stopped pacing, "You weren't in there, okay Lucas? That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs."

"Demo-dogs!" Dustin shouted as he peeked around the corner to look at Mike from the kitchen as the black haired boy exhaled in an irritated manner.

"The chief will take care of them" Lucas told Mike, trying to calm the boy down. Max scoffed, "Like either of them needs protection."

Ashton finished putting the blanket upon the window before walking over towards Mike and Lucas, just in time for Dustin and Steve to approach them as Steve flipped a towel over his shoulder.

"Listen, a coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. Alright?" Steve said as Mike narrowed his brows, "Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. And second, we're not even in the game, we're on the bench" Mike retorted back.

The children looked at Steve for his next response, "Right, o-okay so my point is--" He stammered over his words as the children continued to stare.

"Right, yeah, we're on the bench, so there's nothing we can do" Steve finally said. Dustin thought for a moment, "That's not entirely true."

The rest of them looked at Dustin, wondering what the boy was talking about, "I mean, these Demo-dogs, they have a hive mind. When they ran away from the bus, they were called away."

"What bus?" Mike asked but his question was interrupted as Lucas spoke up, "So if we get their attention--"

"Maybe we can draw them away from the lab" Max said, understanding what the others were trying to plan. "Clear a path to the gate" Mike added, staring at the ground in realization.

"That should give El and Rose more than enough time to close the gate" Ashton nodded his head, liking the plan that they were starting to create.

"Yeah, and then we all die!" Steve cut in, emphasizing the last part. Dustin shrugged, "That's one point of view."