Allowance Cut

The "dad" called her shortly after she left the club room. It had been a few days since that last call where he forced her to confront Gabriel and his parents.

Judith wanted to ignore it completely this time, but something in her gut tells her not to.

It's telling her this call will be VERY important.

After finding an empty open classroom in the university, Judith reluctantly picked up her phone.

"What's up?" She muttered rudely, her voice tinged with irritation.

"Judith," Arthur's voice sounded strained at the other end, "I am going to tell you again. I want you to apologize to your sister for how rude you were towards her. Verona told us how miserable she had been feeling."

Are you f*cking serious?! Miserable my a*s!

Judith's jaws tensed, memories of that stupid argument flooding back, "For the last time, I am not apologizing! What I said back then is the truth! You guys are just too blind to see it! Also, continuing this argument is pretty petty of you, father!"

"How dare you think you can speak to me like that, young lady?!" Arthur's voice rose. "You will show respect when you speak to me!"

Judith's temper flared. "Respect? Like the respect you've shown me by constantly taking Verona's side, even on times she is clearly in the wrong?"

"Watch your tone, Judith," Arthur warned. "This behavior is unacceptable."

"Well since this is going nowhere, there is no reason to continue this conversation. My answer is still no."

This call is actually not that important after all. I shouldn't have picked up. My gut was wrong this time.

As she was about to hang out, one sentence from her father stopped her.

"I'll cut off your allowance." Arthur threatened.

Judith's breath caught in her throat. The allowance was the original soul's only financial support so far to get through college. Losing it would mean that she can no longer rely on her family for money.

That means she can only depend on herself.

She needs to get a job.

"That's fine," she said evenly.

Her answer shocked Arthur.

"Did you just say fine?!"

"Yes," Judith replied calmly. "I don't need your support because I can take care of myself. I'm over 18, so I should already be starting to taking care of myself. It's high time for me to become independent from you all."

On the other line, Arthur couldn't believe what he is hearing. Judith has never learned to take care of herself. She was always dependent on others so that she didn't have to lift a finger.

Ever since that dinner, his daughter had changed.

She had become more bold and determined.

He doesn't know if he should feel proud.

"Judith...what you said...are you serious?" He finally released out.

"Yes I am, and I don't care if you take away my allowance. I don't need it. I also don't care if you disown me. I am done with this conversation."

"Judith wait-!"

She hung up her flip phone with a snap.

Sighing in frustration, Judith then headed to her dorm room. She had just made one of the biggest decisions in her new life.

She refused to feel any sense of doubt, because she is in control of her own destiny, free from the constraints of the Wellester's expectations and judgements.

She already lived one life, so this second life should be like a breeze to her. She just needs to plan things carefully.

This time, she will have control.

Once she gets back to her dorm, she will start looking up part time job openings.

Note: Next chapter will be longer.