The Project: Design pt. 1

Note: Most readers chose E from the previous chapter.

"Okay everyone! Since we are back on schedule, it is time for the next step of our project!" Their best friend announced.

"Which is...?" Charles inquired.

"The design!" Liam replied. "We are already done with the planning! Now we just start making it!"

Days later, the four guys are back at the computer club, ready to continue on creating the website. However, someone is missing.

Zayden notices the one person who came up with this idea in the first place is not here yet, and it's past the meeting time.

"Hey guys, where's Judith?" He asks.

Xavier looks around, "Oh, it seems she isn't here yet. Maybe she is late."

"Could be. I'm sure she'll be here. If she is still not in 10 minutes, one of us will call her," stated Liam.

"So...should we get started without her?" Asked Xavier.

"I guess we can...but Judith's input on this project is important, so we can't go far without her," Liam replied.

Just then, the door burst open.

"Sorry that I'm late guys!" The guys saw the person who shouted was the one they were expecting.

"No worries Judith. We're glad that you are here. You are only a bit late, so what got you occupied?" Liam asks her.

Judith huffs out of breath then took a seat by Zayden. It was the same spot from last time. Likely, it'll be her permanent spot in the club.

"I just got out of a job interview," she answered.

Zayden raised a brow, "You are trying to get a job?" He questioned.

"Yes I am," Judith sighs after her reply.

"Why? Are you having trouble with your finances Judith?" It was Charles turn to ask.

"Well you can say that. I am no longer receiving any allowances." She told them.

The guys look shocked at her answer.

"Wait...are your parents cutting you off?!" Xavier exclaimed.

"My father specifically, but yes."

"Damn, that is harsh."

"Look Judith, it is not our right to pry about your personal affairs, but we can help you if you need it," Liam reassured, his voice filled with concern.

Zayden nodded, "That's right. You're our friend. So if you are having trouble, we'll offer to help."

"Right!" Charles and Xavier chorused.

Judith smiled gratefully at them, "Thanks guys, but I'll manage. I want to do things on my own so that I'll become independent."

"Well that's good. By the way, what jobs you applied for?" Liam asked her.

Judith began listing the jobs she applied for based  on what she found online, and also the flyer she saw.

"I snagged only a few interviews so far. I just got out of an interview for the university's IT support technician. I have a good feeling about that one."

"That's great! Hopefully, you get that job! Now, shall we all get started on our Metube website?"

"Thanks and yeah, let's continue it."

"Okay so before you came in, we were just discussing about our second step of our project, which is designing it."

"Makes sense," Judith nodded, "After the planning, we can get on to creating it."

"So what is the first thing that would come to mind when designing a website?"

Everyone looks thoughtful.

"It would be the homepage," said Zayden.

"Okay good. The homepage would be the first thing anyone sees. Can anyone think of the features the homepage of Metube would entail?"

"Hmm, definitely there should be a search bar, every website has it," said Xavier.

"And also trends," added Charles, "What I mean by that is the homepage should highlight trending videos and topics to showcase popular content."

"Sounds excellent Charles! That's my marketing guy!" Liam complimented him, making his friend shyly look away.

Shouldn't be surprise that Charles would think about trends, since he has a Marketing degree, Judith thought.

"Okay, we are on a roll! What about our genius and Zayden here?"

Judith internally cringed when Liam called her a genius. In truth, she is just taking an idea from Earth, her old world.

"How about adding recommended videos too? It will be based on the users history, preferences, and trending topics. The aim is to personalize the user experience and encourage further engagement," said Judith.

"We can also add subscription feeds for the logged-in users," said Zayden. "It will include a feed from channels they are subscribed to. This will allow people to easily access the latest uploads from their favorite creators."

"Nice!" Liam nodded in agreement, jotting down everything that was said. "I also have my own inputs to add. We can put a sidebar with additional options and shortcuts to access subscriptions, playlists, or history."

A lightbulb lighted up in her head, "Oh! Speaking of shortcuts and access, we can split the homepage into tabs to provide easy navigation on the homepage. We can put a Library or Explore tab, or more." Said Judith.

"Okay, I think we are all set for the homepage. Now, what else can we add to the design?"

"As a future video-sharing platform, of course we need to have the video player," said Xavier.

"The video player would need to have controls for play/pause, volume, full-screen mode, playback speed, and allowing skips for forward or backward," Judith listed. "Most importantly, the videos should allow more than a few minutes long. I'm talking hours...or even days!"

The guys gave her a 'huh?' expression.

"Days? I don't think a video can go that long," said Zayden.

But Judith remembers ' lofi girl', and other videos that streamed for years.

"We'll make it possible!" Judith declared.

The discussion of the rest of the design include channel pages where users can customize the layout of their channel and upload their videos. Also comments and interactions below the video to engage with the content creators by leaving comments, liking/disliking, and sharing on social media.

With having brainstorm the design for the website, the team began the creation process.

"Okay, let's do this!" Liam declared. "Xavier, this is where you come in. Turn on the computer!"

"Right!" Xavier did what Liam told him and the screen turns on.