Chapter 3

"Hey." I say as I set my tray down at the lunch table where I usually sit.

In Highland you can eat outside or inside, we stay inside cause its starting to get cold outside. Me and all the girls sit at a round table, with their boyfriends of course.

Something hits my chest, sliding down my top as I drop down onto my seat. I stop what I'm doing and look down my shirt, pulling out a tator tott. I look up in shock as I hold the tator tott in my hand.

It's like god cursed me or something.

I stare at Tanner, challenging him with my eyes as he smirks, holding back a laugh.

Fucker.

"Could you not through food at me." I say, throwing it back at him.

He flinched backwards as it hits his cheek and falls to the ground.

"It wasn't meant to hit you sweettits, it was meant to hit Liam."

I look over at Liam who stares at me with a small smile and a 'I'm innocent' look, which I do not believe.

Liam is sitting by Jacey then it's Lacy and Jake and then Emily and Tyler (another football player also, Tanners bestfriend) and then of course Tanner.

"Don't call me sweettits." I snap as I start to pick at the food on my plate.

"Ok sugarplum." He responds back.

I look at him as he stares at me with a smirk and winks.

I turn away, feeling the heat rising in my cheeks. I look towards Emily, distraction myself from the dickhead across from me.

"So Em, that party you were talking about, what time does it start?"

"Oh, well the games not over till like 12 so about 12:30." She says, sipping her lemonade.

"Ok so that gives us enough time to go to my house and get ready?"

"Yep." She says and then turns back to Tyler and starts talking again.

I swear they have a thing or like each other but she always denies it.

I start to eat my lunch when I feel someone staring at me. I look up at Tanner who is staring at me like it's an everyday thing, our eyes meet for a second though, it feels like hours. I break our gaze and furrow my brows at what I'm weirdly feeling in my stomach.

"Can I help you?" I say in a sarcastic tone as I set down my fork.

"Oh hun you could help me with so much." He says with a smirk and winks once again.

Of course he's throwing the sexual jokes at me.

"Well hun-" I say back mocking him, "-instead of staring at me like some creep you could take a picture it last longer." I snap back as I start to eat my fruit.

*****

"T-O-U-C-H-D-O-W-N!" I yell out to the big crowd in the bleachers as everyone cheers. We have made our last touchdown for the first game of the season leading us into the win as the game ends.

The buzzer sounds ending the game. The girls throw me up in the air and catch me in a cradle setting me down gently on my feet. Everyone cheers and the cheerleaders and players huddle around, hugging and cheering. I run to Emily, Lacy, and Jacey and we all hug while jumping up and down.

"We won!!!" We cheer.

Our little huddle of happiness soon breaks when the girls run off to congratulate their boyfriends or crushes, in Emily's case. She still denies that she likes him.

I turn around and gather my cheer stuff as the field and stands empty leaving only a few cheerleaders and players out on the field. I turn around to walk off the field and go get ready for the party when my eyes meet his once again.

I break the silence "Um-good game." I say with a smile.

"Thanks." He says returning the smile.

"Oh finally something rather than sarcasm or name calling actually comes out of your mouth." I say rolling my eyes in a playful way.

"You know you love it cupcake." He say as he walks off the field to the boys locker room.

"And it's back." I mumble, grabbing my stuff and walking off the field.