41

"It doesn't always work out, sometimes someone has to be put 'in check' as some would say."

~ Anonymous

Lexi's P. O. V.

Convel prowled around the house. Literally around the house. He'd made a trail in the grass from his constant walking.

My heart throbbed for him. It'd been months...

The moon hung in the sky. My eyes trailed the large mass of wolves. It was fairly peaceful. I smiled as I saw Harper and her mate drinking some blood and pups watched them with shocked gaping mouths. Her mate's father sat beside them telling something to the pups that made them gasp and grimace before trotting off to play.

Mike sat beside me by the fire. His arm was wrapped around my shoulders. The light of the flames danced against his red-brown hair and twinkled in his amber eyes. He was so cute. I leaned against him and he sighed and played with my hair.

The humans had contacted us a bit. Subtle war threats but right now that wasn't part of our main worry.

If we didn't get my brother under control it would be severely detrimental to all forms of life.

"Do you think we'll find her?" I said as I glanced at my brother whom still walked around the pack house.

"Katlyn will come back." He said sounding so confident in his statement.

"How do you know?" I asked him and he looked into the fire.

"You know that feeling you get when your mom knows you did something and your just waiting for her to bash you about it? Well I get that feeling around Kate, probably because she was always acting like a mom around me, and I'm getting it now." He said and suddenly he stood. His eyes looked around and he started making his through the masses of people. I trailed him as he left the group and stared out at the grassy field. His eyes squinted in concentration.

He suddenly took in a sharp breath and a frown appeared on his face, "No." He said softly and started to walk off.

"No fucking way." Mike said and his pace picked up. I looked around in confusion not knowing what he was talking about or doing.

"Katlyn." He sighed and I looked around in shock. Mike grabbed my hand and started pulling me along.

I looked and saw something move in the distance. My heart lurched. Behind me I heard Convel roar in pain and the figure ahead of us fell. Mike swore under his breath and began running, dropping my hand.

As we neared the figure stood and I almost cried with joy. Katlyn.

She looked exhausted and her eyes were dull. Her hair was a mess, her teeth a little yellowed, her clothes-well whatever clothes she wore- hung from her body. Her feet were bare and covered in dirt and grime. Her stomach was flat and her chest heaved.

Her stomach was flat.

"Katlyn... the baby?" I asked and tears instantly cascaded down her face.

"The lion kills the offspring to show who is in charge..." she said softly in a broken voice. I glanced at Mike and he frowned.

"What?" He asked. Katlyn looked at him.

"He killed my baby... I just felt it... he killed my Kaden..." Kate sobbed and sank to her knees. Anger flowed through me and Mike cursed loudly before linking his hands behind his head.

"Who?" Mike asked with rage in his voice, "Who killed him?"

"Droen... leader of the vampires." Katlyn gasped.