Love Spy and Die

Prologue

Sometimes I get the feeling that my destiny will change. That I can be a normal person walking on the streets and never feel the urge to protect myself wherever I go. If it wasn't for my dad it wouldn't have been like this. If he had chosen my mom instead of that woman at work, maybe I could have been a normal teenager that prepares to move to college. It will never happened, I know that because my destiny is forever and always to protect my country, to be a spy.

12 years ago

"Charles LEAVE!" My mom screamed from downstairs.

 Scared of what was going to happen next, I hided under the bed in my room with pink flowered wall paper. With my hand over my ears I cried, my parents often fought, but not like this. Two voices that were always so soft and caring had now turned into two loud and tempered. My mother was crying, which was something that not so often happened, just in the worst cases. Her voice was tired and weak, a voice that was always so strong. Never before had it been this bad. Tears streamed down my young face hitting the dusty floor. Young me tried to forget, tried to stop what was actually happening. Not a single child should hear their parents shout at each other, especially not in such a young age.

"Fine! I'll leave, and you'll need to pay the bills by yourself!" My dad screamed back at my mom.

"The bills? Is that the only thing you can be thinking of right now?!"

"Yes, because you don't love me you only live with me because of my money!" My dad screamed back. I knew my mom loved my dad. The way she looked at him, but the he didn't look at her... She had always been in love with him, but he hadn't. I was young but I could separate love from hate.

"Charles I love you! But I don't think you love me back because who cheats on their wife?"

"Bullshit!"

"So you can't see that I love you?" My mom whispered.

After that it was an unbearable silence. I uncovered my ears from my hands, and crawled out from under the bed were I had hided. Before this everything was fine, at least what I thought, but at this moment I realised that nothing was going to be the same again. Up the stairs walked my dad, his loud steps heaviest in the family which made them always recognisable by the sound. His heavy steps continued into the room on the other side of the hallway, my parents’ bedroom. Some drawers opened and closed, other than that it was silent. Too silent. I stood in the middle of my room scared of what was going to happen next. After a few minutes my dad walked down the stairs again, and then there was a loud bang.

Everything in my world seemed like it disappeared under my small feet, I knew he was gone. Gone, a word that in my ears always or at least before this seemed so useless seemed now empty and sad. He couldn’t be gone. He wouldn’t leave my mom and I, not at least the loving dad I knew, or had something changed? Besides the now uncomfortable silence the only thing that you could hear was my mom’s and I’s silent sobs.

10 years ago

We had moved from the house my dad had left us in. We lived in a little apartment far away from everyone else. My mom had a job at a restaurant and worked a lot. I was 8 years old and went to school. I hadn't heard anything from my dad since that day. He hadn't sent us money or even a letter. My mom took care of me when she could and the time that was left I had to take care of myself. In early age I had  learned how to cook simple dishes and take care of myself. My mom's life was all a mess. She woke up in the morning, went to work and then she got home and slept. We never saw each other that much. I was asleep when my mom got home and went to her work, so I really never saw her, except on Sundays.

One Sunday when we were home and watched Mean Girls someone called on my mom's phone. She went to her room and the call was hours long. When she was done with the call she said something that wanted me to throw up.

"Lucy you are going to turn into a spy."

"W-what?" I stuttered.

"A woman called. She said that if I accept this spy thing, she'll give me money every month until you turn 18. You know how much I need the money and I just couldn't resist it," She explained.

"So you choose to turn me into a spy?" I whispered.

"Yes sorry. I need the money and I can spend more time with you," She smiled, she was going to cry, her eyes were watering.

She hugged me and whispered, "Everything is going to be fine."

Though it was all nonsense in my ears, I knew that it wasn’t and today I still know that it was the stupidest choice my mom could have made.

***

Hi everyone!

Hope you will enjoy my action story. Even though it is categorised as Action it will include some romance too!

If you enjoyed this first chapter please:
-Vote?
-Comment?
-Follow?

Thank you!
- Veronica