Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Juliette

Two days had passed and there was no sign of Lucy. Scott was getting more and more frustrated for each day. Agents with years of knowledge from different abductions had tried to find one clue of where Lucy could be. None was there to be found, not even a teeny weeny one. Shawn was a professional; he had hacked into the security cameras to paus them so no one would have been able to see his work. The tired and unwise guard that had watched the security cameras was too tired to even notice that it had paused. Nurses, other hospitalized or visitors had not seen anything either. Thrust me I had asked everyone twice, some people even three times. Nothing. Nothing was there of kidnaped Lucy.

For each day that passed this lump of worry in my stomach grew larger and larger. There had only been two days but this lump felt like the size of football. Never before had I been this worried, firstly it was my best friend who was nowhere to be found and secondly it was because I was the reason for it. I was the one who had gotten asked to stop the search warrant and had forced it to the back of my head and forgotten it. Everything was my fault, and now she was kidnapped, maybe she even was getting beaten, or worse, she was dead. How many times I had tried to calm myself down, tried to tell myself Lucy was going to get out of there was erratic. She had been kidnapped before and gotten out of there, but something inside me told me that this was something else, something horrible and terrifying. Shawn was nowhere to be seen either, which just added onto my football sized lump inside of me.

“Juliette?” I was so caught up in my own thinking that I hadn’t even realised that someone was trying to talk to me. My eyes shifted from the green painted cabinet at the back of the room to the person that had said my name. Familiar blue worried eyes stared into mine. Eyes that always adored me, was now full of pity. His warm body shifted closer to me, brought me to his side and wrapped his muscular long arm around me. In his embrace I felt safe, loved and always welcomed. His action made me relax a tiny bit, enough to make the lump in my stomach to decrease into a full sized handball.

“Relax. She will be alright, everything will be alright. Just give them time. I’m sure they will find her soon,” Jaxon said trying to comfort me. Both of us knew it wouldn’t, it wouldn’t be alright. Once kidnapped, always kidnapped, the memories wouldn’t fade away. In my case the hateful feeling of being the fault of someone being abducted wouldn’t disappear, it will always be imprinted in my heart and mind.

“No,” I mumbled shaking my head, almost in tears.  

“It’s not your fault,” he tried.

“How would you know?” I snapped and soon regretted it but stayed quiet. So did Jaxon, he didn’t have to answer my question, I knew that he didn’t know.

The library was almost empty. With green bookshelves and cabinets the room got warmer and more welcoming. Flower patterned armchairs and couches were placed around the room, one of them was Jaxon and I seated in. The thin but still tall librarian stood a few meters away from us, putting books into the shelves. Books that had been through years of reads, had been thrown onto tables, maybe never touched because they weren’t interesting enough. It was at this moment that I weirdly got hit by the thought that even though they weren’t living creatures, they were strong. I wanted to be strong; I didn’t want to sit here beside Jaxon with him pitying me, almost in tears of Lucy being kidnapped. I wanted to be the one who found her; therefore I needed to be strong. How amusing this may sound, I needed to be a book for a while. I giggled.