chapter 3: Resfeber

Resfeber

Resfeber

(n) the restless race of the traveler's heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together; a 'travel fever' that can manifest as an illness
• • •

A soft knock interrupted my saddening thoughts. I opened my tired eyes and whispered for them to come in. Miss Peregrine stuck her head in the door with a look of pity plastered on her face. Don't pity me. I wanted to say. I hate it when people look down on me, or view me as weak or incapable. I clenched my jaw and looked out of the window. It was almost pitch black outside.

"How are you feeling?" Miss Peregrine asked, slowly entering the room.

"I'll be okay." My words were monotone as my eyes remained wandering through the blank window.

"We are having supper in a little while. I was hoping you might want to join us," Miss Peregrine said, sitting on the bed.

She put her hand on my arm, and I would have flinched, but her touch was comforting. I appreciated everything she has done for me, even in the short amount of time I've been here.

"Sure," I said, attempting a smile. Just then I realized how hungry I really was. But other thoughts came flooding into my mind.

"How long have I been asleep?"

"Two days ago, I brought you here," she spoke slowly, as if she was picking out each word she said, afraid that I might shatter like a plate dropped to the floor.

I swallowed hard.

"Where are we?" I said, my brain fuzzing.

"Cairnholm, Wales, darling."

I nodded. I opened my mouth to ask about the children in my loop, but she knew what I was going to ask.

"No more questions. I understand your confusion, and I promise, everything will be answered tomorrow over tea. For tonight, I would just like to learn your name and have you downstairs for supper. I believe it would be good for you."

A small smile spread onto my lips and I looked up to the caring ymbryne.

"My name is Adeira."

"Hello, Adeira," she said with a warm smile.

She stood up and went to a closet across the room.

"Here, this should do. It's a little big, but it will be comfortable for your stitches."

I nodded understandingly and gently took the soft dress from Miss Peregrine's hands.

"Thank you," I said quietly.

"Of course, my dear."

~ ~ ~

After miss Peregrine left the room, I got dressed. It took me a little while, but I managed to put the comfortable dress on with only a few winces. My feet stung against the cold wood. Scrapes ran across the bottoms of my feet, and walking involved a lot more effort than I had hoped for. Every step brought searing pain to the bottoms of my feet, to my abdomen, and to my head. I managed to make my way to a long mirror on the other side of the room.