chapter 31: Secret

~A/N: We hit 2k votes right after chapter 30 was uploaded and I couldn't be more thankful. Thank you guys so much <3
__________

 Thank you guys so much <3__________

Secret

(n) something that is meant to be kept unknown by others
• • •

1 day until the boat arrives.

I sat across from Miss Peregrine's desk in a sturdy chair, bobbing my knee and biting my lip. My hands met the outline of a folder passed across the desk, and I took it into my hands. Staring down at it, I didn't know what to say. I didn't realize that a guilt was as heavy as it felt.

"Do you have any questions?" the ymbryne asked, folding her hands on her desk.

"No," I responded, looking between her and Sharon. "I have no questions."

"Very well," Miss Peregrine nodded.

"Adeira," Sharon budded in. "We need to know that you won't tell anyone of this plan. This is for your own good and for the children. If anything were to go wrong, someone could get hurt and Lorraine might get her way."

I swallowed hard. "You have my word."

There was a small silence before I felt the urge of a question.

"Am I able to tell the household of the fake plan?"

Miss Peregrine and Sharon looked at each other before nodding in my direction. I displayed them a stick-on smile as stood up, more than ready to exit the office room.

They need to think you're leaving.

I hugged the folder to my chest.

~ ~ ~

Miss Peregrine had us eat outside today without supervision. I knew she was giving me an opportunity to talk to everybody. The appreciation I felt for her was drowned by the overwhelming guilt and shame I was feeling. I didn't want to lie to everyone, especially Enoch.

The breeze we felt everyday swept through my hair as I sat on a small blanket. Surprisingly, Enoch didn't mind that I wanted to sit closer to everyone today. We all began to chat about our day and about Sharon's sudden introduction. I was bombarded with questions about what we talked about and if I was okay. Not responding to anyone once, my eyes stared at the food sitting in front of me vacantly.

"Leave her alone," Enoch groaned next to me, shooing off any more questions. He could tell I wasn't feeling it and gently played with my fingers. I squeezed Enoch's hand before sitting upright with a small whisk of confidence.