chapter 19: Sillage

Sillage

Sillage

(n) a scent that lingers in the air; an impression made in space
• • •

I slung an arm across Millard's shoulders as we chatted in the garden. Once again, we were discussing my peculiarity. This time, Millard was explaining in more detail.

"Current electricity is measured in amperes. With current electricity, it is required to have a conductor - that being you Adeira - so that the electrons can flow and travel easily. Current electricity can be generated in many ways. It can be generated with the simple chemical reaction taking place in a battery or through a generator. Though with each use, a base is needed. See, for your peculiarity to be stronger, you need someone who motivates you to stay in control. With control, your peculiarity will be extensively more powerful," Millard explained.

"But who could be that emotionally prominent in my life?"

Millard placed a hand to his chin and crossed his legs quizzically.

"Not to toot my own horn, but either myself, or Claire. Maybe Emma or Miss Peregrine," he paused for a moment. "Or Enoch."

I could hear the smirk in his voice. My heartbeat picked up at the mention of Enoch's name and I mentally slapped myself in the face. I wanted to play it off like I wasn't really interested in him for a reason that couldn't be concluded in my mind. I guess it was just a natural reaction...

"Hah, that's funny."

Millard laughed, "I'm serious! One of them could really aid you in controlling your gift. Especially Enoch."

"Why's that?"

"He has feelings for you," Millard shrugged.

I ripped my arm off from around Millard's shoulders and stared at him with wide eyes. My mouth gaped open and closed like a fish out of water for a good 5 seconds.

"Why would you say that?" I stuttered. I felt my palms shake lightly, not from my peculiarity, but from nervousness.

"It's blatant that he likes you. I've never seen Enoch open up to someone as much as he does with you. Not once in my 36 years of knowing Enoch have I seen him laugh as much and as hard as he did yesterday at noon. Then with you obviously feeling the same way towards him, the force of those strong feelings between you two could-"

"Hey wait a second there, invisible boy. I never said I had feelings for Enoch."

"Oh please," he scoffed, "The romantic connection between the two of you is so excruciatingly considerable that it blinds me."