chapter 10: Latibule

Latibule

Latibule

(n) a hiding place; a place of safety and comfort
• • •

Soon after the event in the hallway, Victor left. He needed space as he said, and I sat down with Claire to read to her. She took my mind away from Enoch for a short while.

Emma had joined us in the library. She heard everything. When I was finished reciting a few tales to Claire, I sat with Emma in the back of the library. We chatted for awhile about what happened between Enoch and I. It was like she could see right through me.

"I know you're lying," Emma said, crossing her arms. She raised an eyebrow and was smirking slightly.

"No I'm not. Why would I ever have feelings for someone like him? Sure he's been nice to me at times, but whenever he doesn't get his way he turns into a monster!"

Emma laughed and leaned forward on the table we were sitting at.

"Adeira," she began. She placed a hand on my arm and looked me in the eyes.
"I've never seen Enoch open up to someone as much as he does with you. Even to Miss Peregrine. He really enjoys your company."

I sighed and covered my face with my hands.

"I should talk to him."

Emma nodded and smiled.

I sighed once more and stood up from the circular table.

"Thanks Emma."

"Of course."

I smiled in her direction and began my walk to the front of the library.

~ ~ ~

I found myself muttering as I made my way upstairs. Today was our first fight. Though my body was still screaming with anger, my heart burned a little. I wanted to forgive him.

Enoch, when he's in the mood, is the greatest friend I've ever had. When I see him my heart skips a beat. When I'm near him a smile tugs at my lips. Whenever I get involved in a conversation with him, my mouth just spills out everything that comes to mind. I feel like I can tell him anything. . .It's like I'm under a spell he's cast upon me in such a unusual way. Though, as I walk up to his bedroom door, I come to realize that I'm not exactly sure what feelings I have for the morbid boy.

"Enoch?" I asked softly, lightly knocking the door.

There was a long pause. I lifted my hand to knock once more, but I heard an irritated grunt come from the other side of the door.

"Come in."

I turned the doorknob and walked into his room. My eyes widened at the sight. Along his walls were jars and jars and jars of different sized hearts, toy parts, and weapons. I raised my eyebrows and looked around the room, spotting Enoch as he sat at a dark-wood desk. He was focusing hard, I could tell by his scrunched up face. He pursed his lips slightly as he sewed a small knife to the arm of an obscure toy topped with a bird's head. The body was made of a plastic baby and its feet represented that of a big cat.