chapter 24: Torment

~A/N: I've changed the aesthetic of each chapter and I think it looks a lot better! Please let me know what you think! :)
__________

~A/N: I've changed the aesthetic of each chapter and I think it looks a lot better! Please let me know what you think! :)__________

Torment

(n) severe mental distress
• • •

Miss Peregrine had asked me to stay in the dining room after lunch. I was a little worried, as Miss P never calls me in like this. It's usually Emma that stays, but I remained seated without question.

Miss Peregrine rushed back into the room with what looked like a letter in her hand. She had a thin line of sweat blanketing her boney face and seemed riddled with thought.

"This couldn't wait a day longer."

I was getting extremely nervous. I followed Miss Peregrine into her office and sat down with furrowed eyebrows.

"Is everything alright?"

"Yes, yes," she answered, waving a hand.

"You look flustered," I stated slowly.

Miss Peregrine smiled at me and seemed to collect herself for a moment. She took a deep breath as what seemed like a weight was being lifted off of her shoulders. The ymbryne handed me a letter with a long exhale.

"I have had this for about a month now."

I stared at the ymbryne in shock and took the letter into my hands. It was opened before me and I assumed Miss Peregrine had seen whatever was inside before me. It didn't bother me; She was probably just doing her ymbryne protocol.

I turned the envelope around to read where this letter was from.

Devils Acre.

I shivered. Why would someone from there want to contact someone like me? It had no name, other than Devils Acre, and was addressed neatly to Miss Peregrine's home. I assumed she collected it from an messenger bird.

Opening the letter inside I almost fainted.

It was written directly to me.

Adeira Langston,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. I know you must be confused and worried. Why would a peculiar child get a strange letter from Devil's Acre in the first place? I assure you, all of your questions will be answered in a matter of a few sentences.

I miss you sweetheart. I know that may seem strange, as you don't know who this letter is from. Well, my name is Lorraine. I live in Devils Acre with my assistant. Our job is to ------ help peculiar children.