chapter 29: Illusion

~A/N: Since I've been gone for over a week, here's a long update for you all! xx
__________

~A/N: Since I've been gone for over a week, here's a long update for you all! xx__________

Illusion

(n) a thing that is or is likely to be wrongly perceived or interpreted by the senses
• • •

"Welcome home, children."

My knees seemed almost buckle under the weight of fear tearing through my body. My hands shook violently, my eyes fuzzing. My gaze was distracted from the intruder, though, when Enoch took a slight step backwards.

He seemed to recognize the man.

My thoughts were trampled over once the shrouded man opened his mouth once again.

"You," he growled, pointing at Emma with a long finger. "All children in there." He pointed towards a small office room.

Emma slowly started walking towards the door, leading everyone along when Hugh put an arm across the front of her body.

"Don't," Hugh stared at Emma with pleading eyes.

"Hugh, what are you doing," Millard hissed.

"There's fourteen of us and one of him! Are you kidding me?! We can fight him off!"

"Yes! We can fight him!" Abe shouted from the group.

A loud squeal and a deep chuckle brought our attention back to the intruder. With a knife to the four-year-old's throat, the hunched man brought us back into the palm of his hand.

"Olive!" Emma screamed.

"I wouldn't try anything if I were you," the man growled.

"Don't do this," Enoch stated, holding Claire closer to his body and sticking one hand out in surrender.

"I won't have to if you all calmly enter that room, one at a time."

Olive silently cried, her tiny eyes red and puffy. Her bottom lip stuck out, quivering with every breath. My jaw clenched and un-clenched, tingling with energy.

With a nod of the man's head towards the room, everyone began to enter in a single file line. I stood last in line behind Enoch and Claire, helping everyone inside, including the scared Olive. Once we made it to the room's door, Enoch placed Claire on the ground, allowing her to go in before himself. As I stepped foot in the room, the intruder spoke up.