chapter 25: Mizpah

Mizpah

Mizpah

(n) the deep emotional bond between people, especially those separated by death
• • •

I closed Miss Peregrine's office door behind me with a heavy sigh, leaning onto it with my eyes squeezed shut. With a shaky breath, I reached into my pocket, grabbing a hold of Enoch's watch. My eyes grazed across the cold metal resting in my hands, following the gentle melody of its tick. I placed it to my chest, feeling the coolness pierce the fabric of my dress. Its tick bled into my heart.

"Adeira?"

I turned my head to the side, landing my eyes on the quiet voice's owner. My lip trembled slightly at the sight of my dead-riser. Running over to Enoch down the hallway, I wrapped my arms around his torso, burying my face into his chest. He wrapped his heavy arms across my shoulders, pulling me closer to his tired body. After a moment of holding each other in silence, I paired my dazed eyes with that of his.

"Enoch?"

"Mmph," he responded, pulling away slightly to look down at me.

"Did I hurt you?"

Enoch chuckled darkly.

"Not badly."

I unwrapped myself from Enoch, and grabbed onto his right arm, pulling his long-sleeve up. I did the same to the other side and sighed once I saw the marks on his arms.

"I electrocuted you," I said, feeling guilty. I could only imagine the marks on his chest and torso, as he was pinning my against his body trying to control me earlier.

"I'm fine."

"Well now you sound like a teenage girl," I said with a quiet laugh.

Enoch smirked slightly, but pulled away from me once he saw what I was holding. He smiled down at my hands and picked them up, absorbing his old watch's tick. I smiled gently in return.

"Why don't you smile like this all the time? I'm sure everyone would love it," I said, looking at my hands in Enoch's.

"It takes a lot to make me smile."

I leaned into Enoch's chest after hearing his response. He rested his chin on top of my head,  pulling me close to him once more. His gaze focused out towards the long hallway as I leaned into his body. Closing my eyes, I focused on the deep thud of his heart. A peacefully steady heartbeat resonated from his chest.

Enoch stiffened suddenly at the sound of someone wobbling down the hallway. I pulled away from Enoch to see a drenched and shivering Emma. My eyes widened and I jogged over to her.