chapter 15: Uitwaaien

~A/N: Thank you for 5thousand+ reads and 100+ comments <3 And I can't believe we have almost 300 votes. That blows my mind! Thank you very much! ~
__________

 That blows my mind! Thank you very much! ~__________

Uitwaaien

(v) to take a break to clear one's head; lit. "to walk in the wind"
• • •

I walked into Enoch's bedroom with a bowl of warm water in my hands. A freshly wet rag hung from the side of the bowl and sent warm mist into the air. Hung on my arm was a small bag that Millard lended to me filled with patches and ointments that Enoch may need for his injuries. Enoch looked up from his slumping position as I came closer to his bed. A soft click of my slightly-heeled flats bounced off of the hardwood floor as I neared the grumpy boy.

I gently placed the bowl in my lap as I sat next to the deadriser. Awkwardly shifting the medical bag off of my arm, I turned my body towards Enoch and viewed his injured face.

A large cut from where his head slammed on the floor was surrounded in dried blood, along with a bruise forming underneath. A small cut ran under his cheek and a bruise marked the other side of his face. Various cuts scattered his face as well, but didn't worry me too much. He didn't look that bad.

"This is just warm water, but it may sting a little," I warned, dabbing a small portion of the hand towel into the bowl. Enoch stayed quiet, but turned his face towards me.

I gently placed my hand on the side of his face and lifted my other hand to clean out the large cut on the side of his forehead. He jumped slightly at the feeling of the cloth, but eased slowly back with only a few winces.

I continued to clean out his wounds, patching up the largest cuts and rubbing healing cream on the others. In peaceful silence, I continued my work. The only sound my ears could register were the soft mutters of children downstairs and my pounding heartbeat. Something about Enoch made me so comforted, but so nervous at the same time.

"There," I said, wiping a speck of dirt off his cheek, "All done."

I smiled and placed the dirty towel into the cooling bowl.

"Thank you," Enoch muttered. I nodded and watched Enoch stand up. He grabbed his side as he stood, wincing.

"Enoch?"

"Yeah," he responded, turning back to me.

"Let me see your side," I stood up, looking down at his torso.

He backed away and shook his head. "It'll be fine."

"You're obviously in pain. Can I just take a look?"