chapter 22: Skinny Love

Skinny Love

Skinny Love

(n) when two people love each other, but are too shy to admit it
• • •

After the reset, everyone began walking inside. As the children walked up the stairs, Emma pulled me into a hug.

"Miss Peregrine is very angry with you two," she whispered, "but I still want every detail in the morning."

Emma pulled away from our hug with a giggle, and I responded with a smile. Once Emma was up the stairs, Miss Peregrine slowly walked over to Enoch and I. With crossed arms and a stern expression plastered on her face, Enoch and I knew we were in huge trouble.

"My office. Now," the ymbryne ordered. Enoch and I quickly obeyed and followed Miss Peregrine into her dark study.

I sat down on the sofa in front of the room's window, and Enoch did the same. Miss Peregrine then grabbed herself a chair and pulled it up in front of the couch. After a moment of her eyeing us, the ymbryne opened her mouth.

"What. We're you. Thinking."

I gulped and looked down at my hands as Enoch shifted uncomfortably.

The ymbryne in front of us crossed her legs and stiffly cupped her hands around her top knee, waiting for a response from either of us.

"I think you both know that something like this doesn't come without a punishment. I understand that the two of you wanted to go out to the village for a while, but disobeying my strict rules and not returning before-"

"Miss Peregrine, it was my fault," Enoch mumbled.

"No, I think I'm to blame. I shouldn't have distracted Enoch from the time," I jumped in, shaking my head.

"Adeira, I'm the one that-"

Miss Peregrine cleared her throat and narrowed her eyes. Enoch and I quickly quieted down.

"Now children, I can see that both of you feel equally guilty. Though I highly appreciate both of you accepting blame, there will still be a minor punishment."

I nodded, Enoch doing the same, as we waited for our sentence.

"Tomorrow morning, the two of you will set the breakfast table, make a special meal for each of the children, and clean up once everyone has finished."

Enoch groaned. Though the punishment didn't seem too harsh, I could already tell what was coming. There's no doubt that each child will want an exotic breakfast.