chapter 17: Caim

PLEASE READ <3

~A/N: 10 thousand reads. . .I'm speechless. Thank you all from the depths of my heart. Having that many reads means the world to me. I truly appreciate your dedication and just over all belief in my writing. I couldn't be happier, so, thank you once more for reading my cheesy little story, and for voting, commenting, following me, and for adding SPARK to your reading lists. I love you all to the moon!! Stay Peculiar <3 ~
__________

 I love you all to the moon!! Stay Peculiar <3 ~__________

Caim

(n) "sanctuary"; an invisible circle of protection that reminds you that you are safe and loved
• • •

I gazed out onto the ocean as the group and I walked along a dirt-roadside. A swift breeze twirled in between each of my limbs and caused my dress to flow peacefully in the morning sun. As we walked, a few passerby's gave us smiles or waves, apparently unfazed by our strange appearance. Others were terrified or curious, nothing too surprising. Millard, though, did keep his face hidden under a scarf every time a wagon or civilian passed, not knowing if they were open-minded about the peculiar.

I watched Claire leave my hand and bounce over to Bronwyn. Whenever I wasn't around, that 14 year old girl was Claire's happiness. I wouldn't want it any other way.

My hand brushed Enoch's once in awhile. Each time it did, a shiver was thrown up my spine and I felt my eyes buzz distantly. Enoch seemed unfazed, but he looks that way most of the time.

I smiled gently and gazed up at the sky, drifting to the side slightly and bumping into Enoch.

"You alright there, lov-Adeira?" he coughed, and clenched his jaw slightly.

"I'm good," I laughed gently.

Miss Peregrine pointed out things as we walked. My mouth was hanging open most of the time, wowed by Cairnholm's beauty and history.

"This place is incredible!" I stated gleefully, watching as a yellow butterfly landed atop a wooden fence.

"Well, if you haven't been living here for 90 some-odd years!" Emma joked. She had joined my left side as Enoch walked calmly on my right. I laughed along with her and threw a playful arm around her shoulder.

"So....Know any cute peculiars around here?"

Emma laughed a little and I saw Victor tense up ahead of us. I wanted to tell him that I wasn't going to spill on his little crush, but I had to keep myself quiet in front of Emma.

"What about you Adeira? Know any cute dead-risers around here?"

The children giggled and I blushed. A lot.

Enoch looked at Emma sharply and everything became quite awkward.

Miss Peregrine stifled a laugh, "Now, now. We mustn't start problems Miss Bloom. I expect the rest of this walk to be a nice one."

Emma smiled at her and nodded knowingly. Enoch walked forward next to Millard quietly.

"I think you've embarrassed him," I whispered to the pyrokinetic.

She laughed and I slapped her arm while entering a laughing fit. She nudged me to the side playfully and we kind of just kept collapsing on each other while we walked. We stumbled like drunk women, swaying side to side in fits of giggles and holding each other upright.

"What in the world has gotten into them?" Horace pondered aloud.

The group stopped to watch Emma and I. My stomach ached, and I wondered why we thought my statement was so funny. I rested on the thought that we were just laughing at one another. I snorted and Emma laughed harder and wheezed out a silent laugh, those kind of laughs you get when something is so funny, no sound exits your vocal chords. Her mouth remained open and I stumbled backwards and rested my hands on my knees, laughing at Emma and gasping for air.

All at once I heard the children and Miss Peregrine scream and I looked out towards the road as a wagon barreled a foot in front of me. I froze and stared in horror as the children screeched in surprise. As quickly as I noticed the wagon, I was being pulled back by a pair of protective arms. They wrapped around my torso and tugged me backwards so quickly my breath hitched. I stared out towards the speeding wagon in shock, watching as the horses rode on and the chairman didn't give us a second glance.

My veins pulsed with adrenaline and I felt my hands clamping down on my savior's arms, still wrapped around me.

"Oh dear bird! Adeira, are you alright?" Miss Peregrine rushed over to me and I slowly let go of Enoch. My cheeks flushed and I hugged Miss Peregrine before quickly turning around to face Enoch. He looked scared.

I quickly wrapped my arms around his center and squeezed.

"Thank you Enoch," I said breathlessly.

He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me closer to himself for a moment before unwrapping his arms hurriedly.

Miss Peregrine was checking up on the children and blatantly flustered.

"Oh, Adeira I am truly, deeply sorry," Emma cried hugging me.

"Why? It wasn't your fault," I kindly responded.

She pulled away from me and looked me in the eyes. "I distracted you. We are usually so aware of everything that happens here, but I-I distracted you and, just, you could have been seriously hurt!!" Emma rushed out.

"Really Emma, I'm okay. I promise. We were just messing around and it took a turn."

She nodded slowly and hugged me one last time.

"Emma is right, we're usually not this careless. I apologize," Horace stated, tipping his hat.

A thought suddenly came to me and flushed my cheeks, "Wait, wait, wait, is this like that prophetic dream you had awhile ago?"

"I believe so," Horace responded.

"B-but what occurred in your dream compared to what just happened. . .it was different."

"I am able to predict the future, but not it's exact events. I mess up sometimes. Some of my prophecies dream a little too big," he chuckled, "Maybe the chemistry between you and Enoch sparked my imagination."

Enoch glared at him, like always. "I hope you dream about socks and sandals tonight."

Horace gasped dramatically. The children laughed and I found myself leaning on Enoch as I laughed along. I naturally placed my hand on his arm while I chuckled, something he noticeably took into account and draped an arm over my shoulders. I smiled up at him and our little group of peculiars continued on the walk as if nothing ever happened.

• • •