chapter 16: Tacenda

Tacenda

Tacenda

(n) things better left unsaid; matters to be passed over in silence
• • •

I rubbed my eyes as I sat next to Enoch in the open, grassy circle that was all-too familiar to me. The land was fresh once more, and I felt myself grow the tiniest bit tense, reflecting on my previous actions in this very area. It was after breakfast and Miss Peregrine decided to let the children put on a talent show. The lawn chair that I sat in had one leg shorter than the others, and I found myself constantly rocking back and forth at an annoying rate. Enoch had noticed and offered to trade seats with me. I gladly switched and smiled softly. He seemed less grumpy today, probably because he was beyond tired. I was too.

I looked up at the makeshift stage. The children had helped Miss P take it out this morning while Enoch and I were still asleep. It wasn't until Emma came pounding on the door that we had shot awake and gathered ourselves quickly to help everyone set up outside. The first act of the day was to be Claire, and I looked at the curly-haired girl sitting on the edge of the stage, twirling her golden hair around a finger. She didn't seem nervous, she was just waiting for everyone to settle. A sent her a wave and she smiled brightly in return. Miss Peregrine trotted up the stage's steps with echoing clicks of her heels on the wooden panels.

"Alright children," the headmistress announced, clasping her hands together, "all is set. Claire, begin once you are ready."

Claire nodded with a wide smile and hopped to her feet. She disappeared for a moment behind a curtain of bed sheets, but soon came back around with a bucket of tennis-balls in her arms. She wobbled slightly and I covered my mouth, holding in a laugh.

The small girl placed the bucket down on the ground with a thud and looked out to the peculiar-filled audience.

"I need a volunteer please!!"

I raised my hand immediately. She clapped with glee as I stood from my chair, brushing my dress down. Time to go up there. I looked back at Enoch with a smirk. He leaned back in the crooked lawn chair smirking in return, and waited to see me on stage. Once I was next to Claire, she placed a ball in my hands.

"Throw it in the air as high as you can."

I raised my eyebrows and laughed lightly at the demanding girl. Obeying, the tennis-ball shot upwards in the air with the help of my strength. Claire quickly positioned herself and lifted her curls from the back of her head. As the ball fell closer and closer to the ground, the peculiar girl positioned herself perfectly in line with the object. With a swift leap, the girl caught the ball in her back-mouth, piercing holes through the lime exterior. I heard a wisp of  air exit the ball, and I watched as Claire removed the deflated ball from her back-mouth and presented it to the audience. All of the children clapped and cheered as loud as they could. Though the stunt wasn't insanely challenging, everyone knew to cheer on the little one. I smiled and hugged the proud girl. When the claps died down, Claire announced: