chapter 11: Noctuary

Noctuary

Noctuary

(n) the record of a single night's events, thoughts, or dreams
• • •

As Enoch and I walked down the stairs, the dinner bell rang, as if it were waiting for us to arrive. I smirked up at Enoch who was a few steps behind me.

"Told you!" I said with a small laugh.

He smirked in return and I waited for him at the bottom of the stairs before walking into the dining room. Surprisingly, all of the children were already seated. (They must have been right outside the house or in the living room.)

"Look at these two," Horace teased as Enoch and I entered the people-filled dining room.

Enoch glared at him and all of the children giggled. I playfully rolled my eyes and sat down next to Emma with Enoch joining me on my left.

Dinner was quite good. We were having some sort of chicken soup with mixed vegetables thrown in. I thanked Fiona for all of the fruit that was laid out as well-she had just harvested her fruit! I was a little confused on how she is able to maintain a garden with the reset. Wouldn't the fruits and vegetables just reset growth at the end of the loop? I pushed that thought aside easily and tuned into an uprising conversation.

The children were beginning to tell funny stories to me.

From Olive getting stuck in a tree to Hugh throwing up honey, I was in fits of laughter.

"Wait, this one is even better!" Millard began. "Do you all remember when Enoch got his head-"

"Millard goes around the loop naked and tries on ladies clothes in the shops!" Enoch shouted quickly.

"I do not!" Millard laughed.

Enoch's jaw clenched and I could see right through his made up story.

"I think Enoch is just trying to avoid having Adeira hear his incident," Victor said. His voice was a little edgy, but he seemed to have cooled off a bit. He's probably used to Enoch's outbursts.

Enoch quickly narrowed his eyes at him and Millard continued the story.

"Before I was rudely interrupted, I was saying that one day, Enoch-"

"I don't believe Adeira would think this story is funny," Enoch said quickly.

"No, I'm intrigued. Continue Mill," I said taking a sip out of my cup like a president of a major corporation. I was dying of laughter on the inside.