chapter 33: Orenda

Orenda

Orenda

(n) a mystical force present in all people that empowers them to affect the world, or to effect change in their own lives
• • •

"Are you ready, my dear?" Miss Peregrine looked at me with adrenaline-filled eyes.

I nodded towards my ymbryne before looking back towards the water.

Miss Peregrine isn't thrilled that Sharon had me pack guns in my suitcase. She only gave in when Sharon promised that no actual killing would happen. The smart man had found out that Lorraine created a sort of forcefield spell to reflect any peculiar abilities; A spell that will remain in power due to a generator that will be aboard the ship my mother is arriving on. My job is to destroy it.

"Adeiraaa!" a high voice sung from the incoming boat.

My throat squeezed shut like I was choking on my own life. Feeling my hand tighten around the handle of my suitcase, I went through the plan over and over and over and over again inside my frazzled head. Sharon pointed out my glowing, deep purple eyes as we made our way down the beach a few minutes ago. The tingling sensation coursing through my body was enough to send anyone over the edge. My body was shaking like an earthquake was filing through my insides. But my brain was focused, pinpointing the only goal remaining in my mind. A craving, to tell the truth. A craving inside my body so incredibly powerful that it was impossible not to give in. This craving, to stay in Miss Peregrine's loop, seemed to envelope my mind all at once, causing my eyes to glance behind me towards my family.

The peculiar children stood further up the small beach as Miss Peregrine, Sharon, and I waited at the shoreline to greet the arriving boat. My eyes met Enoch's even through the immense space between us. I fought myself to look away, but couldn't. His gaze sent tremors of anxiety through me. What if something will go different than planned? What if I can't protect him? Claire?

"Has my daughter gone deaf?"

I snapped my head around to come face to face with a lanky woman strolling down the beach to meet me.

"I've called your name about thirty seven million bajillion times!" Lorraine heaved out a hyena-like laugh, sticking a cigarette into her mouth.

I fought to keep my eyebrows from furrowing together. Seeing my mother in person after countless decades almost threw me to her as if on instinct. I had to restrain myself, my brain reminding my body that the woman in front of me was no longer my mother. She was a criminal, a con-artist. A peculiar slave owner. My brain started to search every thought that came to my mind. What is her peculiarity? How did she escape the hollowgast that killed my father and almost killed her?