Chapter 3

I flip through the music channels as Clara is playing about on the floor with her toys. I nearly choke on my spit when I see Michael's face, jamming out vigorously with a bass on stage. I lean in forward as the camera pans out to Anthony, and my mouth is now hanging open. They must be a very successful band. I can't believe Dad doesn't remember.

"Jungle man!" Clara yells and points at the T.V screen.

"Why do you always say that, huh?" I ask curiously.

"My...my daddy jungle man." Her face is filled with immense joy and pride, clapping her hands and adorably smiling every time her daddy comes on the screen.

I lift her up and seat her on my lap. "What do you mean by jungle man?"

Point two seconds after I asked, a small banner below the screen with the band's name pops up, along with the song name, jungle man.

I giggle at Clara singing along. This is too cute. Soon enough, I find myself tapping my foot to the beat. Not exactly my kind of music, but I definitely wouldn't want to change the channel if it's somebody I've seen before in real life, even if I just met them.

This video appears to be a compilation of different live performances. Then on the screen flashes the band on the stage near nakedness, with socks on their penises.

I gasp and turn the channel. I wonder if Michael's comfortable exposing his daughter to this. Great, I just met two of them and I'm already being introduced to their pelvic region. I hope this is not something I have to get used to.

The wall clock reads 9:35. My eyes grow heavier not just from the tiredness, but the thought of having to supervise for almost another two hours. Really Michael, you couldn't have taken her with you? Doesn't matter anyway. I suppose I'd rather be here then at home where I would have to listen to the ongoing nagging of Mom talking about how important school is, and screw doing something because you enjoy it, the big picture here is, and I quote, "as long as it's honouring and it pays well." Well then, why don't we all just do the same thing?

I let out a yawn, my thoughts adding to my exhaustion, so I try to stop, although it's hard sometimes. I gently pick Clara up from my lap and set her down on the couch, to watch some cartoons as I collapse on the opposite side of the room on a loveseat, my head resting against a small, fluffy pillow. I feel myself falling asleep within a few minutes.

An abrupt car honk awakens me from outside. I instantly sit up, looking around the room. My thoughts instantly go to the girl.

"Shit, Where's Clara?" I ask myself.

"Clara," I call out, searching around the downstairs area, "Clara...." I'm now feeling a panic attack come on

"Clara!" I yell this time from below the staircase. She couldn't have crawled up there, could she?

Suddenly I see two little pairs of pink shoes down the hall. I place my hands on my hips.

"Clara?" I said, this time sounding like a disciplinary Mom.

She runs up to me, laughing and pointing at the door saying, "Jungle man!" when Michael and Anthony, along with a couple other guys behind them walk through the door.

"Hi beautiful, I missed you!" Michael says, picking her up and kissing her.

"Hi again," Anthony greets me with a smile plastered on his face.

My heart melts. I smile back shyly. "Hi."

"I hope she wasn't a handful to deal with," says Michael.

"No, she was two of 'em," I chuckle, "Kidding. She was very well behaved. It was nice."

"Well we really appreciate it, don't we?" He plays with Clara's fingers.

"Yah!" she squeals.

"Oh, Wren, this is John, and that's Chad," Michael said, pointing to the two guys I haven't yet met.

"I recognize. Now I know why Clara screams, 'jungle man!' I saw a live performance of the song on T.V. tonight."

"What did you think of it?" Anthony asked.

"It was nice, I liked it."

Perhaps without the sock prank, it would've been fine.

"It's nice to meet you," says John, offering out a hand. His hair is short and red, and has a slim figure, almost looks fragile.

"You too," I said.

Chad does the same; he has dark hair, down to his shoulders. Hair must be a big thing in this band. But God, Chad is tall. Must be six foot.

I remember getting home, and how I forgot to call to tell them I was doing alright; oops.

"Well I guess I have to call home now," I said, reaching for the phone.

"Wait," says Anthony, "Why don't I give you a ride?"

"Oh don't worry about it, my dad can pick me up."

"The car's just outside," he offers again.

"Really, it's fine. You don't have to go to that much trouble."

"Who says it's trouble?" He moves closer to me. "I like riding around with pretty girls."

My face turns pink. I look down and can't help but form a smile of shyness. Doesn't he know how that sounds?

I look up at him. A few of his friends are giggling; I try not to care.

There's no way on earth my parents will be alright with me being in the car with someone they don't even know. He never even once asked if my parents will be okay with it. I find that suspicious, or maybe he's just too chill.

"Can you at least take my number?" he pushes, not in an aggressive way, more like a, you-look-cute-I-want-to-know-you type way, licking his lips.

I can't help but laugh. "You never give up, do you?"

"Not if it's something I want." His tone is persisting, I find it quite attractive.

I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but also how could I say no to a really cute guy who hardly ever comes around that often, so I said, "Alright."

He smiles widely and grabs a pen, writing his number on it.

He held it out, and I take it from him, folding it up with a quiet, "Thanks."

I pick up the phone, and dial for my parents to come get me.

-

yes, Anthony has arrived into the story! More coming.