Chapter 18

"Wren?" Dad calls, knocking on my door.

"Come in Dad," I said.

He opens the door. "Hey sweetheart, what are you up to?"

"Not much," I said, stretching from my chair.

"Do you ever leave that chair girl?"

"Sometimes I eat," I joked.

"Listen," he said, sitting down on my bed, "I just wanted to apologize for being harsh on you, you know, from before. I know that you're a good girl, and your mother and I couldn't be more proud of you."

I smile. "Thank you, Dad. I really appreciate it."

He returns the smile. "And," he glances around, but stops talking when his eyes land on the condom rapper from last night on the ground. He stares at it for a moment before picking it up.

He chuckles with disbelief and asks, "What, where did this come from?"

I can already feel the punishment before it arrives; the sting it leaves me with afterwards.

I gulp. "Dad."

Everything he said, soon he's about to take back.

Tears start falling from my eyes, watching my dad's facial expression, having no control how I feel. I've really done it this time.

"Dad, I'm sorry," I said, voice cracking.

All I've ever wanted in life is for him to tell me he was proud. He stands up slowly, and I take a step or two back. He walks towards the door, still in astonishment.

"Home," I heard Mom from downstairs.

I hear Dad consult with Mom. I hear Mom walking up the stairs, and my heart falls to my stomach.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Mom screams. "Do you have any idea what kind of danger you could've put yourself in - sneaking off and hanging around a bunch of sleaze buckets? Then, all of these years of teaching you how to respect your body and how much God loves you, did all of that mean shit, Wren?"

I feel a sudden rush of anger and rage, heating up in my body that I've wanted to express for years and said, "What exactly happened to not speaking of hell in the house? Huh? What you think just because you're a parent, the rules don't apply to you?"

She slaps my face harshly, near my eye and yells, "I can say it. I can say it because I'm your mother."

"Oh God," she wails, tearing up, "Where did I go wrong? What have I raised you to become?"

I look over at Dad, teary eyed, clutching my sore cheek. I'm surprised he has no words. None, whatsoever.

"You're the one who traps me in here like a prisoner you psychos," I pressed.

"Listen here you little brat, we have showered you with nothing but love and support since God has put you here, and how do you repay us? Like this? Oh no. We're trying to teach you morals, so you could be a good person and reach for what you want," says Mom.

"No," I said, almost crying. "With what you want."

The next thing she said struck me like a chord, "You've disgraced God, as well as your whole family. And roll down your skirt, you look like a slut."