Chapter 31

Third person

Mr and Mrs Sanchez wanted their baby girl back. It was obvious she ran away, and from that they felt a sense of grief and guilt wash over them. They had no idea what they did wrong to make Wren feel like she had no way out. In their minds, they felt they were protecting her from the dangers of dating an older man, by trying to keep Anthony away from her. However what they didn't realize was that it just caused her more sadness being away from him.

The policemen tried assuring them that things will be okay and said, "Listen, kids do this-"

"If I hear one more time that this is what kids do then I will not be a happy woman, sir," Katherine cut him off.

"Just tell us...is there any possibility that she's in danger?" Neil said.

"Sir, I really couldn't answer that question for you. It's not that I'm saying that there is a possibility that she may be in harm, but she's been gone for over two weeks now, and since then there hasn't been a single sign of where she is."

"Oh God, Neil," Katherine wept, burying her face in her husband's chest.

Neil comforted her, rubbing her back in circles, sadness washing over his face as well. "Is there anything more you could do?"

"But, I didn't just come to tell you that, I have good news, too. If you're sure she ran away with lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers as you say she did, there is a possibility that maybe we can somehow get a hold of her. I believe we can track them within the states and cities they're touring to. You're lucky it was tour time, as it's almost guaranteed where they'll be."

"That's a relief," said Neil.

"Are you sure it'll work?"

"I'm almost positive. We just need a bit of extra time to figure it out. I promise, you've got the best team of people on your side, Mr and Mrs Sanchez," the policeman places a hand on Katherine's shoulder, "we'll find your daughter."

She broke down, tears spilling out of poor Katherine's eyes like she ate a spicy pepper. Heart empty, feeling blue, nothing mattered without her daughter next to her.

Once the officer left, there was a painful and lonely silence between them.

"I knew we should've done something earlier," said Katherine, releasing herself from her husband's embrace.

She began walking up the staircase in the direction of Wren's room.

"Where are you going?" Neil asked.

She sighed, tracing her finger along Wren's table. The table she sat and worked on. Maybe Wren was right. Maybe her parents had worked her too hard, just to make them proud instead of listening to what she wanted, for once.

"She took her poetry book with her. She wanted me to read it, Neil," she said. "Her birthday is coming up...she will be seventeen soon. Seventeen, babe. Our little girl is all grown up."

He rubbed her shoulders, kissing her neck.

"Were we bad parents?" she asked.

"You want to know what I think?" he turns her around, " I feel as though everything was too much. She wanted to be with a man who she couldn't see was a bad influence on her, and felt that he was her only outlet. It's sad, and we should've tried harder. But not in a way where we were trying to break them up, per say, but leading by example, so she'll see what's right, instead of just coming across as us ordering her around. Katherine, if...I mean, when they find her, we need to do better. I believe this is God's way of telling us something."

"I think you're right, honey. I want my baby back..."

The tears come again, and the two of them are left with a new profound realization of their daughter's needs. Being hardworking doesn't come from what people expect of you, it's about being passionate doing what you love. They were afraid of their daughter turning out the way that they did once upon a time; jobless, pregnant at seventeen, and dreams too far away.

Neil zoned out, reminiscing about his daughter and the times when she was a little girl. The typical sadness about a child leaving home causing memories to flood the parents' minds, with extreme dreariness and anxiety.

"Daddy, I'm doing it," little Wren squeals as Neil holds her tiny four year old hands up, guiding her through the water in the beach.

"Yes you did sweetheart!" he said proudly.

"Yay!" Katherine chimed in, clapping.

"We love you so much," Neil said, picking her up and planting a big sloppy kiss on her little face, Katherine doing the same on the other side.

"I love you too, Mommy and Daddy."

Another tear spilled from Neil's eye as that memory faded from his mind.