Chapter 5

"Well what's wrong with it?" I ask Sister Louise, desperately seeking feedback on my essay on a poem which I failed.

"It just was not your best work, dear," she says, walking down the hall as Ashley and I try keep up behind her.

"But which part wasn't good?" I ask as she stops outside her door.

"Wren Sanchez, fourteen out of twenty is not a very bad mark. You did not fail, you just passed in fact. I just thought that your ideas were rather superficial. Instead of telling me about the poem, show it, expand on your arguments in your paragraphs, instead of just giving me an opinion, you need to back it up."

"Sister, I'm afraid you're telling me things I already know, to put it simply."

"Yes, Wren, to put it simply indeed," she says, unlocking her door, walking inside, "I don't imagine I may need another persuasive argument into changing your grade - which may I applaud your efforts on - I just want you to learn firsthand."

"But..." I stare back down at my lousy fourteen out of twenty. "But, I'm Wren."

The bell rings.

Home at last. The only place where I can flatter my efforts and have no one doubt how well I did on my essay, aka Sister Louise. Only it's not so "at last," when the one teacher you favour out of the whole school calls your essay ideas 'superficial.' Doesn't matter, I am determined to raise my grade whether it's from her or not. It was a darn good essay.

"Don't you think you're pushing it a little?" Ashley asks, as we try to stick together walking out of the jam packed afternoon hallway, "I got a thirteen."

"But that's just it, Ash. I can't get used to the feeling of only receiving a few higher marks than most people that attend our school, I mean, could you imagine? I study harder than 90% of these girls, and get the same passing? Ugh."

"I still wish I was you," she says. "On a happier note, we going to Pizza Palace today?"

I shield my eyes from the sun as I walk out the building, and I begin thinking of an excuse, "I can't," I cut off my sentence when I see a black Porsche on the opposite side of the road.

"Wren?"

Ashley's voice drowns out as my eyes fixate on a smiling, casually dressed Anthony across the street. He's wearing a white shirt, shorts, and a snapback...and he's holding a bouquet of roses.

"Dear God," I said, not taking my eyes off him.

"What?" Ash asks, trying to see what I see. "Whatever you do, make sure Sister doesn't hear that."

"I'll call you tonight," I said.

"Alright but please do, because I don't think I can get through this crap load of work without wanting to barf."

"Bye," we said in unison.

I walk fast across the street, my maroon red skirt breezing in the wind, causing goosebumps to appear on my skin. Thank goodness I wore my black knee high socks.

"Good afternoon malady." He bows playfully. "Looking good, catholic schoolgirl..." And he's staring at me again, smirking.

I'm smiling like an idiot, folding my arms. "How did you even know my school?"

"I have my ways."

"Well I didn't say yes." I motioned to the vehicle.

"Well you didn't say no either." He holds out the roses.

"You are not taking me out on a date."

"And why not?"

"Hello? Have you forgotten? I'm still sixteen, living in a fascist conservative jailhouse. Good luck getting through to my parents."