Chapter 24

"Wren," I hear from outside my window, followed by a soft knock as I'm laying in the dark on my bed with red, puffy eyes.

I get up slowly to avoid head rush, my blanket wrapped around my shivering body and pull my drapes open. I instantly unlock the window when I see Anthony's figure in the night time sky.

"Wren." He embraces me in a hug as he steps into my room.

"Anthony," I whisper into his cologne scented skin.

He kisses my lips, and I can't help the lump forming in my throat.

"Anthony," I sobbed.

"Baby, what is it?"

He moves hair away from my face, wiping tears away from under my eyes.

"It's awful," I said, trying to lower my voice but the tears overtake my tone.

"Shh, what is?"

"My parents are just horrible, Anthony. I can't live here anymore, I can't deal with the pressure to pretend to be what they want, I can't deal with the hypocrisy, I can't deal with not seeing you. Anthony....they basically said that they wished they never had me."

"No, baby," he said, pulling me in another hug.

"My dad will beat your ass. I don't know what to do," I said as my words muffled from the hug.

"Listen," he whispered, pulling away, "whatever happens, I'm not leaving you. I came to tell you that the guys are all packed up for the tour. I want you to go with me."

"Please take me," I plead, hugging him.

"Okay, we're leaving, we're leaving," he says reassuringly, smoothing the back of my hair.

I picked up my bag, stuffing a few clothing items in there. I may need more, but for the time being this'll do. I grab my leather coat-the one that smelled of smoke from the concert-and carefully climbed out of the window, Anthony helping me and following behind me. I carefully tried to walk off from the sloped roof, bending my knees for better balance.

"Be careful," I hear Anthony say quietly from behind.

How does he climb up here?

I jump down onto the roof above the kitchen that isn't that high from the ground, and I land on my ass. The light on the inside is still open, so I'm careful to be slick with my movements before anyone catches me.

I hear Anthony's weight crash the floor behind me. I dust grass off my jeans.

"I brought the mini van. We better hurry, there's not much time," he said.

I follow him to the van, getting in and strapping my seatbelt on as soon as I can; I want to no longer look back. I feel a weight of relief wash over me as the engine starts, watching the house becoming smaller and smaller as he drives away. There will never be enough rain to wash the sins out of that house.

They always talked about blessings, and to count them-leaving all of this behind is the biggest one of all. They've also always talked about following your dreams, wherever they may lead. In this case, wherever Anthony goes, I will too.

The next time I feel tears coming out-it'll be because of how happy I am living my life with him. I suck in a breath and exhale, getting ready for a new ride. There isn't another better way to start summer break.